Catalyst Control Center wont start

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
kensaundm31
Legit User
Legit User

Catalyst Control Center wont start

Post by kensaundm31 »

Hi,

I tried uninstalling 10.1 and putting on 8.4 to test gpu usage with stalker SOC.

I couldn't get the 8.4 to run.

so I uninstalled that and re-installed 10.1 there were no errors.

CCC and MOM are loaded in active processes but the control center will start in tools tray, restarting runtime has no effect.

What is the problem??
P4 3.2 HT
Giga-Byte GA-945GCM-S2L
2 GB DDR2 Dual Channel
Sapphire Radeon HD4850
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Catalyst Control Center wont start

Post by Apoptosis »

Not sure why you are trying that, but if you are doing that on the Radeon 4800 series card you have in your signature the answer is very simple... CATALYST 8.4 drivers came out before the Radeon 4800 series cards were launched. Meaning that they will not support your video card since it wasn't released yet.

The Radeon HD 4850 didn't come out until the end of June 2008. The first solid driver for that card was 8.7 (7.14.10.0598), so that is the oldest driver that you can install. It is also the driver I used in the review I just linked to you.

Try running http://www.ccleaner.com/ and then installing the new 10.2 drivers that came out today. That should give you the best performance.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
kensaundm31
Legit User
Legit User

Re: Catalyst Control Center wont start

Post by kensaundm31 »

Yeah thanks, I didn't know 10.2 was out.

But I presumed updates stopped being useful for the 4850's a while ago.

The reason I removed 10.1 in the first place was because I wanted to see if there was better gpu usage when playing STALKER SOC, because I remember playing it ages ago on the same card and the fan was fine at about 50%.

But when I started playing it recently the gpu usage was 80-95% and the fan was going like crazy with temps of 108.

So I figured it might have something to do with the driver.

I did a complete uninstall.

But a very weird thing, when I was deleteing the ati.sys files manually, i would refesh the page and they would instanlly restore. Plus there was a backup directory in blue text.

Driver cleaner would crash every time.

I re-installed 10.1 but the ccc just would not load into system tray.

So in a last-ditch effort I installed 9.9 before the 'install manager' became part of the update package and it works fine.

I suspect the problem is something to do with dot net or visual C++ redist. and the million updates.

So I guess I'll wait until i re-install xp before I put the 10's on.

Cheers.
P4 3.2 HT
Giga-Byte GA-945GCM-S2L
2 GB DDR2 Dual Channel
Sapphire Radeon HD4850