Choosing VGA cards--- HELP NEEDED PLZ !!!!

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
compatriot
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Choosing VGA cards--- HELP NEEDED PLZ !!!!

Post by compatriot »

Hi All,

i have bought two sets of HD 5770 VGA cards in a deal on ebay. i got two XFX HD 5770 and two ATI Radeon HD 5770. i used and tested either but found no difference at stock settings of PC and cards.im not a gamer but needed to upgrade my machine for high graphic works using both cards with crossfire and one LCD.

my question is that are XFX cards Better than OEM radeon ?? the only visual difference is that XFX are with sticker and each XFX card is with single crossfire head while OEM has dual.

im confused which set to keep and which to sell, i need help from you guys....

Thanks...
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Choosing VGA cards--- HELP NEEDED PLZ !!!!

Post by lordvic »

Hello, and welcome to Legit Reviews! :)

If the two sets are running at identical speeds, then they'll be...well identical. There isn't much difference other than the cooler and shroud? (don't which XFX 5770 you bought). I'd go with the XFX 5770's. XFX has a double lifetime warranty on their graphics cards. If you are the second owner -being the person from ebay is the first- you are elible for XFX's lifetime warranty. You just register your two cards on XFX's website.

Regarding about the one or two Crossfire birdge connects; it doesn't really matter. You really just need one.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
compatriot
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by compatriot »

Thanks.....

both models are identical, but when i removed the covers and blower, i found much difference on circuit boards and the capacitors are also different. any way since there is no difference in performance that shouldn't matter.

iv seen some people suggest to use dual crossfire cables on two cards so is good to use dual bridge cables?
lordvic
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by lordvic »

compatriot wrote:Thanks.....

both models are identical, but when i removed the covers and blower, i found much difference on circuit boards and the capacitors are also different. any way since there is no difference in performance that shouldn't matter.

iv seen some people suggest to use dual crossfire cables on two cards so is good to use dual bridge cables?
Ah, the XFX cards are either using "revisioned" PCBs (prinit circuit boards), or it's XFX's own custom design/layout. Custom boards are usually a bit better at overclocking and BIOS that allows you to overclock further than the OEM limit. But then again, if you don't plan to overclock, than it won't matter.

The Crossfire bridge basically allows the two cards to communicate with each other, and handles each other's data. You can have either one or two bridge connects, but cards like the 5770 won't even use all the bandwitdth that ONE conecctor supplies. As long as the connectors line up you'll be fine. You'll only really need to use all two when you have a set-up that uses 3 or more GPUs.
Cooler Master HAF 932 // Phenom II 1090T @ 4.1GHz (not 110% stable) // ASUS Crosshair V Formula 990FX // Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler // Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 @ 1150/1500 // 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJaws + 8GB (2X4GB) G.Skill RipJawsX @1600 8-9-8-21-1T // Corsair TX850 // Corsair ForceGT 120GB SSD // Kingston V200+ 120GB SSD // WD Caviar Black 1TB // LiteON DVD-RW // Windows 7 Ult. 64-bit
skier

Post by skier »

compatriot wrote:Thanks.....

the OEM is likely a reference model and while XFX uses a reference heatsink on most of their 5770 models, I do not believe they sell any that are in fact reference model circuit boards, either way the odds of your OEM and XFX being the same PCB are slim to none. also for compatibility concerns, you can crossfire any 5770's or any 5750's or even a 5770 and 5750 together just fine.

one bridge is fine if not better than 2, often crossfire does not function to its full capability, or properly if two cables are connected with just two cards. my XFX 5770 did not even have two crossfire interconnects on the PCB, though was otherwise reference

also if i remember correctly, Triple xfire is the max for just about all radeon cards (meaning you can have 3 but not 4 cards function, be it the 4th card simply sits idle or does not take any of the graphics load, or will just cause the system to not run.)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups