The 11.10 preview drivers made my monitor go really dark.

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
Lusketrollet
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

The 11.10 preview drivers made my monitor go really dark.

Post by Lusketrollet »

The following is a comment I posted on another forum, but I obviously thought it would be best to post it here, as well:
I'm having a really weird problem, here. As you might have guessed from the title, I installed the 11.10 preview drivers in preparation for the BF3 open beta. When they were done installing and my computer restarted, the screen display was suddenly really, really dark. I'm assuming some settings must have been changed, somehow.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, here, because I've never experienced anything like this. So I'm wondering if anyone here have had, or are currently having, the same problems or something like them, or might otherwise be able to shed some light (pun intended) on the issue? My monitor has some simple controls on it that allows me to fiddle with the display settings in a really basic way, but I haven't been able to find anything to fix this.
Please help. [-o< I'm really frustrated and confused over this. I've never had anything like this happening, before, so I've no idea on how to handle it.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: The 11.10 preview drivers made my monitor go really dark

Post by Major_A »

Boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the driver.

Here's how if you don't already know.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

They didn't do that to mine, but Battlefield 3 beta crashed on me just now after about 30 minutes of game play on a Radeon HD 6990 running Eyefinity
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I just installed the driver on my HD 5450 system and it's working fine. Since it's a beta driver did you tell Windows to go ahead and install the driver?
Clouseau
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Clouseau »

You need to activate night vision.
Antec900 case|PhenomII 940 (3.57Ghz @ 1.4625v)|Zalman CPNS9700NT|M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi/AP|Bios 1903|MSI HD6950 Twin Frozer III|Catalyst 11.11|8GB(4x2GB)DDR2-800@840 G.Skill PI-Black (4-4-4-10 @ 1.82v)|2xWD1600YS in Raid0|Antec HCP 1200|Pioneer BDC-202 Blu-ray ROM|ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM|ASUS DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW|VISTA Ultimate x64 SP2
Lusketrollet
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Lusketrollet »

Boot into Safe Mode and uninstall the driver.
It's not so dark that I can't see. It's just so dark that it looks like the gamma is turned really, really low, and I can't seem to find anywhere to fix it.
I just installed the driver on my HD 5450 system and it's working fine. Since it's a beta driver did you tell Windows to go ahead and install the driver?
I just installed it normally, like I install all ATI-drivers. That is; I start the installation-file, it asks me whether I want to install or uninstall. I choose "uninstall", and remove everything. Then, after the reboot, I start up the installation-file again, and this time, I choose "Install", and install everything on the list that follows. After the reboot, the computer now works normally, with all the latest stuff.

Only this time, the screen was really dark, as if someone had turned the gamma way low, or something.
You need to activate night vision.
:?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Try this...
1) Uninstall the driver again. Reboot.
2) Download and run Driver Sweeper for ATi/AMD remnants.
3) Download the driver again. Then install.

Maybe the driver file you downloaded was corrupt.

*EDIT*
1) What video card do you have?
2) Is your monitor still dark after the driver is uninstalled and Windows is using the driver that came with Windows?
Lusketrollet
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Lusketrollet »

1) What video card do you have?
Two Radeon HD 6990s.