ClearType Problem with x800GTO

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
mon
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

ClearType Problem with x800GTO

Post by mon »

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me solve a weird problem I'm having with my x800GTO.

For games and stuff it works great, but in windows xp, when I enable ClearType it causes scrolling in Firefox and IE and mIRC to be really choppy. I've tried numerous things from other forums, like enabling smooth scrolling or disabling smooth scrolling etc, but none of them work. As soon as I take cleartype off, the scrolling is smooth again.

I'm using a CRT monitor, but I really like the cleartype effect, as I find it much easier on the eyes. I had no problems using cleartype with my old ghetto FX5200.

I find it weird that a card that does so well in 3D apps is struggling in 2D.

I hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

Specs: p4 2.6/1gb pc3200 ddr/win xp sp2/crt 1280x960@72hz/latest catalyst drivers
pointreyes
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by pointreyes »

1280x960@72hz? That sounds like a strange setting to me. I found out that nVidia has better support with widescreen settings than ATi. What happens if you use a more generic setting, like 1024x768 or 1280x1024?
mon
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mon »

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I just tried both of those resolutions, and as long as cleartype is on, I still get the same choppyness. With it off, scrolling at those resolutions is fine.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Actually, 1280x960 is the normal 4:3 ratio, 1280x1024 is 5:4.
mon
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mon »

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies.

Just wanted to follow up and let you know that I was able to fix the problem. I had been using add/remove programs to uninstall previous Catalyst drivers before installing new ones. This, apparently, left something on my computer that conflicted with a newer version of the drivers.

ATI has a small program called cat-uninstaller.exe which is used to remove all catalyst software. I highly recommend that you use it insted of the add/remove programs method, as it seems to get ALL the files, where add/remove programs does not.

You can grab cat-uninstaller along with the latest Catalyst drivers (12/08) here: http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

Thanks