Question about temps on HD 6970 2GB

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
borley1863
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Question about temps on HD 6970 2GB

Post by borley1863 »

Hi, i have a hd 6970 2gb card i have been reading reviews and the reviews i read the average temp for idle seems to be around the 41C mark, well mine on automatic fan at 30% is 62C!
This concerns me a bit, when playing bf3 i peak at 89C, i'm not to worried about that as in a review they were getting the same on BC2.
To get my temps anywhere near 41C i have to put my fan on manual at 70%!
I use Catalyst Control Center for my temp readings.
here are my specs:
i5 2500k 3.3ghz oc 4.6ghz
8gb corsair ram
hd 6970 2gb
corsair Cx600 psu

Thanks any help apreciatd.
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Question about temps on HD 6970 2GB

Post by sbohdan »

I can't believe how common this question is :)
Anyway, It's common knowledge, that manufacturers usually do a very sloppy job with applying TIM (thermal interface material) to the GPU. The paste they use is usually of poor (cheap) quality, applied too thick and not even (heck I even seen a GPU without the paste - they forgot to apply it :lol: ). Just carefully remove the cooler, clean the GPU and the bottom of the cooler and apply good quality thermal paste - this will lower your temps even below that what you read. Tests are often done on an open test bench, so make sure your air flow is good in the case and nothing hinders it (good cable management isn't just pretty but also useful). The first thing i usually do when buying a new video card is changing the TIM. It's an easy and cheap solution in lowering temps. BTW I have your idle temps @ full load with my OC'd card :rolleyes:

Any good quality TIM will do.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

borley1863 wrote:Hi, i have a hd 6970 2gb card i have been reading reviews and the reviews i read the average temp for idle seems to be around the 41C mark, well mine on automatic fan at 30% is 62C!
This concerns me a bit, when playing bf3 i peak at 89C, i'm not to worried about that as in a review they were getting the same on BC2.
To get my temps anywhere near 41C i have to put my fan on manual at 70%!
I use Catalyst Control Center for my temp readings.
here are my specs:
i5 2500k 3.3ghz oc 4.6ghz
8gb corsair ram
hd 6970 2gb
corsair Cx600 psu

Thanks any help apreciatd.
GFX cards are designed to run at those temps. It's not something you should worry about. You should only worry if you plan on overclocking it.

That said, you should keep an eye on the temps as as it gets used more and more, the fan will start to clog up with dust and the temps & or fan speed will increase. This just means you should clean the inside of your case, incl. the card once every 9mths or so.

Welcome to the forums!

Ken
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I agree with everything that has been said. Just to add a bit here. Most reviews are done in an open bench. Meaning there isn't a case to hold in the heat. We also don't know what case you have and how well ventilated it is either.
chika7ilo
Legit User
Legit User

Post by chika7ilo »

I have Sapphire HD6970 2GB Dual Fan , running bf3 and cod4 on a little bit lower temps then you.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

the best way to reduce the temps is to replace the HSF to a better one.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....