anyone else underwhelmed by the new Radeon 480?

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
DeusEx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

anyone else underwhelmed by the new Radeon 480?

Post by DeusEx »

honestly gotta say... sometimes it seems like the read team isnt even trying. I know they went for midrange market and all of that... but to not have a single gpu flagship?

what the.. :-k
KnightRid

Re: anyone else underwhelmed by the new Radeon 480?

Post by KnightRid »

Rad..e...o...n...?? Is that some sort of food to power Nvidia cards? :lol:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: anyone else underwhelmed by the new Radeon 480?

Post by Skippman »

DeusEx wrote:honestly gotta say... sometimes it seems like the read team isnt even trying. I know they went for midrange market and all of that... but to not have a single gpu flagship?

what the.. :-k

This is a leadership problem at AMD. Back in the early 2000's AMD was largely run by engineers who wanted to push the technology as hard as they could to compete with Intel. Later on AMD's leadership began being changed over to more marketing/venture capitalist mindsets. I think this started not to long after the acquisition of ATi. Ever since the AMD has been on a steady decline.

Their bread and butter seems to now be in embedded solutions and their PC CPU division seems pretty directionless. Gone are the days when a Black chip could compete with a K Intel. I'm not sure what AMD needs to do to get it's act together but it better do something quick or it'll go the way of Cyrix. You remember Cyrix right? Oh, you don't... :lol: