omega drivers?

Forum for all the AMD (Previously ATI) video cards from the past, present and future!
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

omega drivers?

Post by grunt »

What do you guys know about them??
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The purpose of the Omega Drivers is to provide gamers with an alternate set of drivers, ones that have more options and features than the original sets. The drivers contain optimizations, extra features (like OC capabilities), more resolutions and internal tweaks that can give them the edge in a gaming enviroment over the normal drivers, which are often tailored for synthetic benchmarks.

I've used them in the past for games that I was seeing bugs in and they were taken care of in the Omega drivers. For my job as a reviewer I stick with the main public drivers that 95% of the consumers use. Try them out and have no fear. They are good stable drivers most of the time :)
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

thx again 8)
grunt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by grunt »

well it seems to work a lot better... And I also am tinkering with the o/c tool and the vpu and memory are both @ 425.25 :lol: Not bad for a 9800pro 256mb...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Which 9800Pro do you have? I got the original one that has DDR2 and the individual heat sink on each memory IC. I love it ;) Faster than the 9800XT's that I played with!
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

Apoptosis wrote:Which 9800Pro do you have? I got the original one that has DDR2 and the individual heat sink on each memory IC. I love it ;) Faster than the 9800XT's that I played with!
I think mine has heat sinks on the memory also. I can't tell w/o taking my case out, but it looked like there were heat sinks. I got mine shortly after they came out and paid like $320 for it on EBay.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The ATI 9800 Pro DDR2 Version just looks so much nicer! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Remember that both of these are 256mb cards.

The DDR2 Version

The DDR1 Version:
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

Why don't they put copper heatsinks on them?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

#1 Cost
#2 The fact that CU Retains the heat longer than AL
A10Pilot3
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by A10Pilot3 »

For #1, like on Xoxide you can buy Cu ramsinks (for DDR memory) for only $2 more than aluminum (set of 8)

For #2, CU transfers heat better, so if there is a fan over it wouldn't it be cooler than aluminum?

I was just going to buy those Cu heatsinks and put them on my FX5600, since the memory on that is the same size as normal memory, so are you saying that I would be better off buying the Al??

My video card cooler would blow air across the bottom heatsinks (bottom of the card) and my exhaust fans would draw air across the top of the card (my card has 4 pieces of memory, put ramsinks on both sides).