how do you connect PS3 to PC?

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

how do you connect PS3 to PC?

Post by aircommando13 »

I am going to college in a year so I am trying to figure out how to get my PS3 to connect to my computer. I have a 24" monitor, so If i connect the PS3 to the monitor via dvi-hdmi adapter I only get video. Would I have to then connect a digital optical cable to my sound cable on SPDIF-in and will I get sound through my pc speakers? Kind of confused on this subject ,help would be appreciated.
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Samsung 22x DVD/+/-RW Burner
Antec p182 Case
KnightRid

Re: how do you connect PS3 to PC?

Post by KnightRid »

You would have to hook your speakers directly up to the PS3 or you would hook the audio for the PS3 up to the tv/monitor.

so your tv only has a DVI connector? and you are using a HDMI->DVI to connect the PS3?

buy a cheap surround system from walmart or kmart or something - for under $100 you can have sound :)

Mike

i never heard of being able to use the PC as an audio passthrough for the PS3 - blu-ray discs have protection on the audio also i believe.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Depends if he's using the optical audio or a set of RCA's out of the PS3. His best bet is a cheap A/V switcher. Monorpice has a couple for $30. His other option is something like at ATI All-In-Wonder that has a HDMI input on it. I think the Haupag cards can do that, plus you'd have a HDTV tuner built in.
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

actually no nvm, the monitor has an hdmi port i forgot. but i dont want to use the monitor speakers, so would i have to use a dvi cable with a seperate sound connection to PS3 or will an HDMI cable with seperate sound connection still work?
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Antec p182 Case
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

aircommando13 wrote:actually no nvm, the monitor has an hdmi port i forgot. but i dont want to use the monitor speakers, so would i have to use a dvi cable with a seperate sound connection to PS3 or will an HDMI cable with seperate sound connection still work?
I am totally lost on this one now - your monitor has speakers, but you dont want to use them, you want to run something through your computer then to the speakers for sound? :rolleyes:

If you have an optical/spdif IN connector on your computer, you should have no problems keeping the audio quality, other than that, use the HDMI and speakers on the tv. Why do you want to run the sound through the computer anyway?
Skippman wrote:Depends if he's using the optical audio or a set of RCA's out of the PS3. His best bet is a cheap A/V switcher. Monorpice has a couple for $30. His other option is something like at ATI All-In-Wonder that has a HDMI input on it. I think the Haupag cards can do that, plus you'd have a HDTV tuner built in.
See thats what I was thinking, but he wants the video direct to the monitor and just the sound through the computer for some reason...

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I don't know if the PS3 can be used with a set of Stereo RCA's or not. If there is such a cable, you could use a Stereo RCA to Stereo 1/8" mini jack adapater and just plug it directly into the back of your PC in the Line In position.

Seems cumbersome.
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

yea the PS3 has an AV-multi jack, so i would need a AV switch because I already have the RCA to headphone jack cord. So just to be clear, would this work?

Video= PS3->HDMI cable->monitor
Audio= PS3->AV multi to RCA->AV switch->RCA to headphone jack->speakers

I was trying to make it so that I wouldnt have to unplug the speakers everytime i switched from pc to PS3, but i guess a pc cant do aduio passthrough so whatever :roll:
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Antec p182 Case
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

aircommando13 wrote:yea the PS3 has an AV-multi jack, so i would need a AV switch because I already have the RCA to headphone jack cord. So just to be clear, would this work?

Video= PS3->HDMI cable->monitor
Audio= PS3->AV multi to RCA->AV switch->RCA to headphone jack->speakers
Yes, that seems to be the way you would have to do it.
aircommando13 wrote: I was trying to make it so that I wouldnt have to unplug the speakers everytime i switched from pc to PS3, but i guess a pc cant do aduio passthrough so whatever :roll:
Why on earth would a PC ever need audio passthrough? It isnt a surround receiver ;)

Mike
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Actually you can hook the audio out from the PS3 directly to your sounds cards line in using a RCA to 1/8th" Mini Jack adapter.

Something like this:

Monoprice has them for a ton cheaper but then you're paying shipping so it may be a wash.

If you use one of these then you can use the volume control on the PC's Line In to adjust how loud the PS3 is. If I understand what you're trying to do correctly this is what you're needing.
aircommando13
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by aircommando13 »

yep thanks, ordered one from newegg :)
Intel E8500 @ 4.0GHz
4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 800MHz
EVGA 750i SLI FTW
Seagate 7200.11 500GB HD
EVGA GTX 260 55nm
Antec 630 watt PSU
Antec p182 Case
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Skippman wrote:Actually you can hook the audio out from the PS3 directly to your sounds cards line in using a RCA to 1/8th" Mini Jack adapter.

Something like this:

Monoprice has them for a ton cheaper but then you're paying shipping so it may be a wash.

If you use one of these then you can use the volume control on the PC's Line In to adjust how loud the PS3 is. If I understand what you're trying to do correctly this is what you're needing.
Right, but that will use only stereo audio rather than the surround sound the PS3 can put out ;)

Maybe I am weird, but I want the best quality picture and sound i can get.

Mike

Hope it works for you!
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Then you're screwed unless you can find something that does a HDMI audio in, which I have never seen before. Or you hook the audio directly to the AVR. I don't know of any way to get multi-channel audio in on a PC. I think it's something to do with copy protection, just like the HDCP handshake on HDMI cables.

Check AVS Forum and see if anyone there can help you.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Skippman wrote:Then you're screwed unless you can find something that does a HDMI audio in, which I have never seen before. Or you hook the audio directly to the AVR. I don't know of any way to get multi-channel audio in on a PC. I think it's something to do with copy protection, just like the HDCP handshake on HDMI cables.

Check AVS Forum and see if anyone there can help you.
I think he is happy with stereo sound, so I guess this question has been answered.

Mike

For me, I would just buy a cheap ass surround system for under $100 :)