Will the PS3 tank?

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!

Will the PS3 Bomb?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes: 24

KnightRid

Will the PS3 tank?

Post by KnightRid »

Ok, will the PS3 just be a bomb?

Curious minds want to know what YOU think :)

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
-mogwai
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by -mogwai »

i don't think it will...
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I don't think it will, there are to many that are hardcore SONY playstation fans, that and the massive backwards compatibility that it has.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

last time i bought a consol was the original Nintendo.... I returned it and went back to my computer. PS3 is to expencive, cell looks like its underperforming, and HD-DVD is going to be the market standard, not blue ray.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
alister
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by alister »

I don't think that it will tank but I think that the sales will not be as brisk with the big price tag. I may not sell as well as the previous models.

Alister
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

DVD format aside I would venture to bet the PS3 will be the leader just for the shear following it has.

but if you base it on the DVD standard, then yeah, it will tank. I dont see it as the all-in-one media center that sony is wanting it to be.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

poll is split 50/50 hehe
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

It looks like there are some fundamental problems with cell:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171
Not to mention that the price of the console is a hell of a lot, just think of the PC upgrade you could get for that much...

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Nobahar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Nobahar »

People were buying xbox360s for more than that price the first weeks or so when it was sold out everywhere.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

theinquirer.net wrote:Sony had better do something about this recto-cranial inversion
now that is funny!
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

I voted "No", as I believe that Sony has established themselves in the console market and enough early adopters will guarantee that the PS3 launch will be a success. People shelled out tons o' coin for the 360 at launch, and the PS3 will enjoy that success as well ;)

There's the Blu-Ray player factor, the backwards compatibility, next-gen console, built-in hd (20 & 60GB models) and more factors in favour of PS3, BUT one BIG question mark (at least for me) = THE HUGE PRICE TAG. I won't be getting a PS3 at launch, as that's just waaay too much for me to pay for ANY console, regardless of manufacturer... but the hardcore gamers WILL flock to the PS3 and it will sell-out :P

Full PS3 specs here (as of E3):
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125429/index.html
"Who' doing what now?"
werty316
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by werty316 »

I would have to say no mainly because all the console lovers will buy one no matter what. I mean do you remember how fast the 360 sold?
There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live.
NAiLs
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by NAiLs »

I personally don't think it will do too well, but it probably won't be an item that gets pulled from the market fast like Dreamcast.

infinitevalence wrote:HD-DVD is going to be the market standard, not blue ray.
While you may think this, HD-DVD and BluRay are still competing. There is no say which will be the standard. Will BluRay be the Betamax? I'm willing to say it probably will, but there is NO standard set yet. There are numerous HUGE companies that back BluRay as well as numerous that back HD-DVD.

BluRay doesn't cost that much more to manufacture, but is still more money. Business is all about making money, and HD-DVD's don't cost anyone much more. BluRay's on the other hand, don't cost you much more either. There was a price that I saw, and BD movies shouldn't cost more than $20. Think about it, HD-DVD's will still cost $16-18 per movie; aka, damn near the same as what they do today for DVD's.
"Bow down before the one you serve! You're going to get what you deserve!" - |\| | |/|
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Razorbacx »

I voted "NO" and broke the tie. I think that the PS3 will do OK at first, but once the price drops to a more respectable level sales will skyrocket. The PS3 is and has always been the favorite game console of my family and friends. I know more people that own PS2's than I do XBoxes and with the superior graphics and verstality of the new PS I myself will eventually buy one.

Razorbacx

EDIT: On a side note, just read the article posted by DMB2000, and I'm a little worried now. As a fan of the PS I think that Sony has some real problems that need to be resolved soon, otherwise just as their Beta format died in the 80's so will the PS..... :cry: I just hope that Sony can find a way around this.
Rofl-Mic-Lofl
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Rofl-Mic-Lofl »

The PS3 might get whooped by the 360 at first, but Sony's forcing of the Blu-Ray will cause them to win the format-war. This will in-turn make people buy the PS3 for a cheaper version of a conventional Blu-ray dvd player(Much like how many people bought the PS2 for the included DVD player), and they will make muchos money off winning the format war. Over all,

I think Sony's tactics were a bit odd, and ill-advised(and rude, forcing an extra $200 in Blu-Ray technology so they will get an upper step in their format-war. It should have been optional and later-upgradeable like the 360's HD-DVD), but it could make them alot richer if all goes well.
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

I voted "Yes". I think It'll do OK, but not near as well as the 360.
Kerii
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kerii »

Razorbacx wrote:and with the superior graphics and verstality of the new PS
Actually... no.

Devs have been griping about the inflexibility of the Cell and SPU junk since day 1, and Xenos vs RSX (modified G70) is in all meanings of the phrase "no contest".

http://www.theinq.com/?article=32343

Well, it might not exactly tank, but it'll certainly be big enough to crush one. :P