Console sales figures

This is the place to hang out and talk about consoles. From game thoughts to hardcore mods feel free to talk about the Microsoft xbox 360 and PS2/PS3 here all you like!
KnightRid

Console sales figures

Post by KnightRid »

Next-gen my arse ;)

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6996

The ranking of consoles by sales are as follows:

1. Nintendo DS - 508K
2. PlayStation 2 - 280K
3. Wii - 259K
4. Xbox 360 - 199K
5. PlayStation Portable - 180K
6. Game Boy Advance - 148K
7. PlayStation 3 - 130K
8. GameCube - 22K

of cours the fanboys came out saying about availability and such, but DAMN, my PS2 still is whooping ass :)

Mike

Well since mine is more popular, it should be worth more than a ps3, so maybe I should trade mine for a ps3 straight up.. :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Something tells me that they are going to laugh at you if you go to the store and ask for a straight trade for a PS3.

PS2s are still selling because they are cheap, not because they are better. Popularity also doesnt make something better.

I see tons of people walking into abercrombie and fitch and buying $80 pairs of ripped up jeans, do they work any better than my $20 pair of non ripped jeans?

Anyway, you cant really compair sales between things in different classes. If that were true, you could say that a pencil is better than a ferarri because there are more pencils sold than ferarris.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

vicaphit you hit the nail on the head. A real stat would be profit made off of each console.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Tyron
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Tyron »

I have a PS2. The graphics suck compared to my 360. I don't like the controller anymore either. I can't believe they didn't update the controller on the PS3.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

DMB2000uk wrote:Image

Dan
I keep waiting for that Sloganizer of yours to say "Dan ain't right!" :lol:

On the article, the more popular items are the cheap items AND the items that have been out longer...though I'm still rocking a PS2 as well.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Well had a long speech going and hit the damn left side button on my mouse and went back a page and lost it. I am too irratible to do it again ( hives-4weeks of itching!)

lets jsut say as long as ALL video cards are compared with each other and ALL cpus are compared to each other ALL consoles can be compared.

Everyone thought it was great when the C2D chips came out and watched how Intel whooped up on AMD - yet they are NOT the same product, just in the same class.

Mike

monetary wise - PS3 loses about $300 per console, Xbox360 is mkaing around $75-$100, wii is about $40 profit, dunno about the rest.

PS - Ferraris break down ALOT, dont buy one 8)
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

my point is that you cannot compare sales of different classes of consoles and determine which is better, or "worth more."

if worth was determined by by sales, the market would be turned upside down
Mad_Goku
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Mad_Goku »

KnightRid wrote: monetary wise - PS3 loses about $300 per console, Xbox360 is mkaing around $75-$100, wii is about $40 profit, dunno about the rest.
Here's an interesting read

http://www.isuppli.com/news/default.asp?id=6919
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz
Asus P8P67 PRO
ATI 5870
8 GB G-Skill Ripjaw X 1600 @ 7-8-7-24
120gb G-Skill Sniper SSD

KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

vicaphit wrote:my point is that you cannot compare sales of different classes of consoles and determine which is better, or "worth more."

if worth was determined by by sales, the market would be turned upside down
the worth more part was being sarcastic about the PS3 being so expensive, and since my PS2 is selling more units, maybe someone would rather have mine than their PS3 and trade me even up. :)

Mike

Nice chart Mad_Goku!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I dont understand why anyone would make something that they are going to lose money on.

I bet sony is getting those components at a lower price than that, I dont imagine they would keep producing a product where they are losing a third of the money it takes to make that product
stopthekilling77
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

:lol:
KnightRid, i'd love to trade up my PSP but they JUST lowered list pricing for it AGAIN! so its worth about $60 for a trade in at GameStop. :shock: aint happening.

:sigh: oh well i'll live another day.

sucks about them losing 300 per system. a little odd if you ask me :?
Cyberpower generic case
B450M PRO-VDH MAX
Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
6GB Seagate HDD
EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
MS LXM-00001 keyboard
Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Its common practice, especially for Japanese companies.

Take motorbikes for example, Japanese companies starting up over here would make a loss for several years selling better bikes at cheaper prices than the local based competition could afford to, one by one the competition had to drop out. When they were the lead in the market, they could then start to sell the bikes at retail value and begin to make a profit as the one of the only choices.

Strange but it works. Microsoft is willing to plough losses to try and achieve this. And in the videogame market the money is mostly made back from actual games sales anyway.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
tomato
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by tomato »

My understanding is that most console makers will initially lose money on the hardware side of things, but that the loss is made up in software sales and/or peripherals.

M$ has stated that the 360 is finally making a profit this year, if I'm not mistaken, so it took 1 yr of availibility and sales to make the 360 a money-maker rather than a money-pit for M$...

Sony will take a loss on the PS3, and a big one given the Blu-Ray Drive, but CAD$60 for a controller that looks a little too much like the PS2 controller mold with motion sensors but NO rumble? Some fishy numbers there :roll:
"Who' doing what now?"
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

I didnt even take in account peripherals and software... I guess they can stand to take bigger hits when you have the marketplace on the PS3 where you have to download updates using a credit card *cough*GranTurismo*cough*. That, and now charging $60 for a game that cost 50 cents to manufacture and probably at most $10 per game sold to create.