RAM issue

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Gustavo Woltmann
Legit User
Legit User

RAM issue

Post by Gustavo Woltmann »

My laptop became a little slow from last 3-4 months. My friend had a spare 4gb ram. So i took his spare one and put in my laptop. My laptop had already a 4gb ram. But after putting 4+4=8gb i found no change on my laptop. It is as slow as it was before.

What should I do now?
KnightRid

Re: RAM issue

Post by KnightRid »

Make sure the 8gb of ram is actually showing up and if it is, consider getting a SSD.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

If it slowed down in the last few months, than it is not the RAM. You need to do some cleanup on the computer because windows and the browsers get cluttered by a lot of garbage. Also, you need to disable all unnecessary apps running in the background, that got there by installing them on your computer since.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
blaxkassassin
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: RE: RAM issue

Post by blaxkassassin »

Ensure that the computer read the additional memory installed. If it does then clean the entire computer.....browser history, delete or back up files, remove programs you not using. If this still doesn't work....backup all your files then do a factory reset.
Gustavo Woltmann
Legit User
Legit User

KnightRid wrote:Make sure the 8gb of ram is actually showing up and if it is, consider getting a SSD.
Yeah, it's showing but I don't want to spend on a SSD
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Gustavo Woltmann wrote:
KnightRid wrote:Make sure the 8gb of ram is actually showing up and if it is, consider getting a SSD.
Only thing I can suggest is to start fresh. BACKUP YOUR DATA (pictures, music, movies, documents, favorites, etc that you dont have stored online already) then Wipe it and reinstall windows (your laptop probably has a recovery partition that will let you reset it to like the day you bought it). You will have to redownload all updates and programs you want reinstalled.

you never told us what model laptop you have, what cpu, what programs you are running, if it is slow on the main windows screen with nothing running or if certain programs slow it down, is it just slow in your browser (if so then it is your internet or you can clear your browser cache and try again), is it overheating, is the hard drive full....

Ok I had one other thought, run malwarebytes (its free) and see what it finds and get rid of the crap....
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Gustavo Woltmann
Legit User
Legit User

KnightRid wrote:
Gustavo Woltmann wrote:
Only thing I can suggest is to start fresh. BACKUP YOUR DATA (pictures, music, movies, documents, favorites, etc that you dont have stored online already) then Wipe it and reinstall windows (your laptop probably has a recovery partition that will let you reset it to like the day you bought it). You will have to redownload all updates and programs you want reinstalled.

you never told us what model laptop you have, what cpu, what programs you are running, if it is slow on the main windows screen with nothing running or if certain programs slow it down, is it just slow in your browser (if so then it is your internet or you can clear your browser cache and try again), is it overheating, is the hard drive full....

Ok I had one other thought, run malwarebytes (its free) and see what it finds and get rid of the crap....
It's a Dell Latitude E6430, Win 8.1. I don't run heavy programs or a lot of programs at a time. I used to play games before but, since it becomes slow, I don't play games now. The browser is slow too.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Ok then I would suggest to try the malwarebytes first and see how that works.

OH - you could also try ccleaner and try to fix the registry with that and see how it goes. Just be warned, if there are a lot of errors you could corrupt the registry and not be able to start windows so make sure you have a restore point or better yet, a complete backup you can restore.

Windows will slow down over time due to the stupid registry and I have had to format and reinstall if the above didnt work.