RAM Voltage: 1.8 to 2.0 Volts versus 2.2 Volts

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
AARRGGHHH
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

RAM Voltage: 1.8 to 2.0 Volts versus 2.2 Volts

Post by AARRGGHHH »

I'm new to system building. I'm seeing a comparatively large range of stock voltages for DDR2 800 RAM. I had thought that 1.8 to 2.0 volts was typical, and I am seeing that range, but I'm also seeing 2.2 volts fairly often.

Will there be problems with buying RAM that runs stock 2.2 volts? I'm worried about excessive heat (slowing down the RAM and possibly wearing it down too quickly), and I'm also worried about whether I'll be able to overclock if the RAM, if it's already starting out at 2.2 volts.

Thanks
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

Just dont go over the memory maker's rated Voltage and you can always try and run the memory Voltage a bit less then what it's rated at, but they normally suggest the voltage for a reason.
In addition, memory that is set or tested at 2.2 Volts will usually be tested at tighter timings just relax the tested settings and play with the Voltage to your taste if you want.
One-liner about business
Producing a system from a specification is like walking on water; it's easier if it's frozen.
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Re: RAM Voltage: 1.8 to 2.0 Volts versus 2.2 Volts

Post by little_tea_pot »

SO how important is it to match the RAM's voltage with the Voltage on the motherboard?? Say the RAM I want is 2.1V DDR800 4-4-4-12 and the mother board states RAM voltage of 1.8V DDR. I'm wanting to get a Intel G33 uATX board, the spec sheet states ram voltage between 1.8 and 1.9V. It should be OK to increase the voltage right? or wolud I need to relax the timings for the recomended voltage to work?? I'm kind of a noob here....
TooT! TooT!
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

I doubt you will get the rated settings of Cas 4-4-4-12, but you can try it and see. The down side is if you buy that menory the reseller might not take it back if it doesent work.
I would suggest another module like Corsair's Twin2x2048-6400C5DHX they will run at Cas 5-5-5-15 at 1.8-1.9 volts.
But if you choose a module that is rated at 2.0 volts or more your MB will need to support that voltage and i would stay from OEM style MB's
IE: Intel Boxed MB's or ay OEM system like Dell or HP with an aggressive module.
One-liner about business
Producing a system from a specification is like walking on water; it's easier if it's frozen.
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by little_tea_pot »

So basically the Intel boards won't allow you to increase the voltage so either buy lower speed ram or choose a different board. I'll look into the ram you recomended, I'm not looking to over clock just get the best speed I can out of the box and forget it.
TooT! TooT!
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by little_tea_pot »

I was comparing Twin2x2048-6400C5DHX with TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX on Corsairs web site; http://www.corsairmicro.com/products/xms2_dhx.aspx
They both state JEDEC 5-5-5-18 @800 The C5 states 1.8v at 5-5-5-18 and the C4 has 2.1v at 4-4-4-12, so would they both run 1.8v @5-5-5-18 or would the C4 still need the 2.1 specified? They are only a couple dollars apart.
TooT! TooT!
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

I would suggest deciding on a few MB's and CPU's you want and then get memory for the MB you want to get would be the easy way.
But Corsair's 6400C5DHX and 6400C4 are made with Different memory IC's and they may not have the same behaviour. In other words they are sold at there rated settings and if ur MB will not support those settings you may not have a stable system even at more relaxed setting with lower Voltage.
One-liner about business
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by little_tea_pot »

Thanks for your help, I think I've tripled my RAM knowledge in the last two days. I already choose a processor...(E6750) I'm going to look for a different G33 based mATX board from one of Intels board partners, they should be alot more flexable.
TooT! TooT!
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

ASUS, ABIT, DFI, Giga-Byte, and MSI would all be good choices, with ASUS being the largest of them all. But still you need to check the MB you want to get as they all make cost down versions that don't have as many options in the BIOS. Once you decide on a MB you think you want, then search for it in google and see if you can find any reviews on it before you buy it.
One-liner about business