What memory timings in BIOS should I adjust?

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
KnightRid

Re: What memory timings in BIOS should I adjust?

Post by KnightRid »

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
PWANJO
Legit User
Legit User

Post by PWANJO »

I've sent 2 PM's but they show in my OUTBOX but not in my SENT box but when I look at the messages it says they were sent, day & time. Why don't they show in the SENT Box??

Please refer to my previous post re Memory Timing as recommended by the CRUCIAL tech. The settings in the BIOS look Ok except the TRAS which shows 24, they want it set at 28. They said to set the COMMAND RATE at 2, not 1 or Auto. It is 2T so I assume that is what they meant.

Remember the Memtest 86+v4.20 says that each 4GB DDR3 stick is fine INDIVIDUALLY in either slot but errors occur when they are used as DUAL CHANNEL, supposed to be a matched set. I went into the BIOS and in to AI TWEAKER and found that these 4 settings they wanted of TCL 9, TRCD 9, TRP 9, and TRAS 24(they wanted 28) were in grey and when I went to set the one that I thought was TRAS it showed 15 when I went to MANUAL. I was puzzled because I thought that would show as 24. I changed it tO 28 & hit F10 to Save & Exit. It then told me it was OVERCLOCKED, so how do I change the 24 to a 28?

The COMMAND RATE in the CPUZ MEMORY Capture I am enclosing shows 2T. They also said that the MEMORY VOLTAGE should be 1.50 . Would it help to set it at 1.52 & try it.

ASUS Tech said to change the AI CLOCK TWISTER to STRONG or STRONGER rather than AUTO. In the ASUS P5QC Motherboard Manual it says that setting the TWISTER to LIGHT or LIGHTER enhances DRAM COMPATIBILITY and setting it to STRONG or STRONGER accelerates DRAM PERFORMANCE. Any suggestions on which one to set it for as I've had times in REENCODING BLU RAY VIDEO with UNEXPLAINED SHUTDOWNS & a BLUE SCREEN when program for REENCODING is set at certain settings. Here are the CPUZ Snapshots.

I would appreciate very much if someone very familiar with the BIOS & DDR3 RAM to looka t my post & advise me what they think.

Many Thanks

Wayne

Capture_CPUZ_GRAPHICS.PNG
Capture_CPUZ_GRAPHICS.PNG (60.41 KiB) Viewed 21499 times
Capture_CPUZ_CPU.PNG
Capture_CPUZ_CPU.PNG (91.87 KiB) Viewed 21499 times
Capture_CPUZ_MEMORY INFO.PNG
Capture_CPUZ_MEMORY INFO.PNG (71.91 KiB) Viewed 21499 times

kenc51, I've posted the CPUZ's Screen Shots of my computer as you asked. Couuld U or KnightRid or Apoptosis or anyone with experience please comment on my problem & give me some instruction on changing the TRAS to 28 and comment on the DRAM VOLTAGE & the AI TWISTER setting.

It would be very much appreciated. I await, hopefully, your reply.

Many Thanks
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I'm not sure why you can't increase the TRAS setting. Try increase it to as close as 28 as you can. You will have to set to "manual" and also manually set the various other timings too.

Overvolting to 1.52v is no problem at all and worth a try, It could be the board is undervolting anyway. Try up to ~1.55v. Alll electronics are made to allow at least a 10% variance in voltage, so you should be safe up to 1.65v; if kept cool enough.
"TWISTER" setting sounds like another name for "Drive strenght" - There is no best setting here. Some memory IC's prefer this to be strong, some weak.
I'd follow ASUS's advice on this and try strong.
PWANJO
Legit User
Legit User

Post by PWANJO »

Thanks kenc51 for your help. In the end I realized that setting one setting to MANUAL meant setting all to MANUAL and leaving the MEMORY TIMING heading at MANUAl as well, and then hitting F10 to Save & Exit.
My problem initially was figuring out that TCL was CASH LATENCY, TRCD was RAS# to CASH DELAY, TRP was RAS# PRECHARGE, and TRAS was ACTIVE to PRECHARGE as indicated in the P5QC BIOS settings.

Once I set all 4 to 9,9,9,28 respectively, (the 1st 3 were right initially BUT the 4th was 24, not 28) as determined by AUTO for the Motherboard, everything was fine. I used the MEMTEST 86+ V 4.20 and the MEMORY worked flawlessly. I haven't tried REENCODING yet but will shortly. I set the SDRAM VOLTAGE to 1.54 instead of 1.50 and the AiTWISTER to STRONG as rtecommended by ASUS.

I have a good feeling now that it will work, and I feel I've learned a lot about the BIOS and my CRUCIAL MEMORY and MEMORY TIMING over the last couple of days, thanks in part to you and this Thread.

Once again, THANKS for your help.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

No worries

Hope it works out for you PWANJO