DDR2 1066 Question

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

DDR2 1066 Question

Post by Sparky »

Currently I am running Corsair XMS2 PC6400 in my Intel XBX2 at 4-4-4-12 @ 1.92v. I was wondering it upgrading to PC8500 would permit me to OC my setup a bit more by using memory rated at a higher speed? I think my PC6400 is what's holding me back right now. That or I just need to buy better PC6400.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DDR2 1066 Question

Post by DMB2000uk »

Faster ram would defiantly allow you to overclock more, if indeed it is the ram holding you back like you suspect.

What speed is your RAM currently at with those timings and voltages?

The best way to make sure it is your RAM is to drop the ram divider down a notch or two, so that it runs a lot slower than its rated speed, then see how far you can push your CPU before it starts needing silly amounts of voltage to get stable again. The reduced RAM divider will mean that the ram isn't even pushed (running under spec even) and will be eliminated as the cause of holding you back.

Additionally, you can find the maximum overclock of your RAM by doing the reverse and keeping your RAM divider at its 800mhz speed, then drop the CPU multi down and ramp up the FSB speed, that eliminates the CPU as being the one holding back your OC.

Have you tried adding more MCH/Northbridge voltage as you have been upping the RAM speed? sometimes that needs a little more juice to let the memory run stable.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Thanks DMB2000uk for the fast reply.
My settings are 266/667 NB strap is 1066 (not sure how to change this one) giving my memory a speed of 802mhz and my cpu 3.2ghz. Reason I'm asking about OC stability is each time I try for 3.4ghz with settings at 333/800 (NB strap still at 1066 again, not sure how to change this on my mobo) I should hit 816mhz on ram and 3.4ghz on cpu but it wont' boot. Could be because it shows my NB settings need to be 1333.
FYI, I'm using this link to figure out my ram settings:
http://www.peakin.com/xbx2/calculator.html
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Yeah, going 1333 strap will definitely help, try the added voltage on the NB to see if you can get it to boot at those settings.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Again, thanks. Any idea how to change the NB Strap on an Intel XBX2?

I think I should probably post this in the Intel Motherboard forum now that I know the Ram part of my question has been answered.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Here is some good info on the subject:
The Northbridge

The Northbridge is the link between your CPU, memory, graphics card (PCI Express) and Southbridge as shown in the diagram below:

Just like your CPU, the Northbridge on your motherboard (i865 and newer) has its own internal frequency and latencies which affect overall system stability. This is referred to as the NBCC (North Bridge Core Clock). The NBCC directly affects the performance and stability of your memory and CPU because Intel system used a NB based memory controller.
It has been recently discovered that the NBCC varies with your systems FSB and multiplier settings. The NBCC can be calculated by dividing your CPU current multiplier by its default multiplier and then multiplier the sum by your FSB.

For Example:

E6600 @ 500Mhz and a 7 multiplier:

(9 / 7) x 500 = 642Mhz NBCC

So it can be seen that lowering your multiplier, even though offering addition headway for FSB on the CPU, will increase the NBCC, reduce NB stability and thus cause the overall system stability to decrease.

XE (Extreme Edition) and ES (Engineering Sample) processors have the unique ability to adjust their multipliers up (All XE, not all ES) and down (all chips) while maintaining its multiplier status as default.

For Example:

X6800 @ 500Mhz and a 7 multiplier (just like above)

(7 / 7) x 500 = 500Mhz NBCC

As you can see, the X6800 has the exact same settings as the E6600, however, the NBCC is lower, resulting in increased system stability.

Moving along, the NBCC has a series of latencies at which it operates. These latencies have considerable effect on overall system performance. The latencies within the NB increase when your NBCC hits specific values, thus increasing stability, but decreasing performance. A range of latencies that operate in specific NBCC values are referred to as straps. There is a 1066Mhz strap, 1333Mhz strap, and so on. However, the name is misleading, because motherboard engineers change the frequency at which specific straps set in. The trigger NBCC's for each range of latencies is different for all motherboards. However, you can manually test many different NBCC values by using Super Pi or a memory bandwidth test to find where the latencies within your system change.

What does this mean for our overclocking?
The classical response to an instable overclock was:

1. Increase CPU voltage.
2. Increase Memory voltage.

However, one must now consider NB voltage (stability) when system instability arises. This is especially true with Core 2 systems which are capable of far higher FSB than what the NB can handle.
So with this in mind, an Intel overclocker must be aware of:

* what strap they are in
* what part of the strap they are in

If you are at the limit of a specific strap, you will most likely find your system to be less than stable. However, increase your NBCC to the next strap and your system suddenly becomes more stable, but not as fast.

For example. The P5B Deluxe changes from the 1066Mhz strap to the 1333Mhz strap after 400Mhz. Therefore, 400Mhz on a P5B is faster, but less stable than 401Mhz.

Some motherboards, like the Intel D975XBX2 and the Abit AB9 QuadGT allow the user to manually adjust what strap they are in. This unique feature allows overclockers to maximize their experience. If you find the limit of your CPU to be around 412Mhz, you can still maintain the 1066Mhz strap and maximize your CPU's potential.
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/146 ... cking.html
Joe