Memory Upgrade - BIOS problems

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
bidwan
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Memory Upgrade - BIOS problems

Post by bidwan »

Hello All,

I am using a Intel 845GBV mother board. So far was using 256 DDR RAM. Now I got a new hard disk and a new memory stick of 1 GB. But when i use this new memory stick, i get a blue screen with the error message,
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
If this is the first time you 've seen this Stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
The BIOS in this system is not fully ACPI compliant. Please contact your system vendor or visit http://www.hardware-update.com for an update BIOS. If you are unable to obtain an updated BIOS or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI compliant, you can turn off ACPI mode during text mode setup. To do this, simply press the F7 key when you are prompted to install storage drivers. The system will not notify you that the F& key was pressed - itwill silently disable ACPI and allow you to continue your installation.
So i decided to go ahead and try with the old RAM of 256 and it worked. I installed Windows Server 2000. Now I want to use the new RAM of 1 GB. What do I do? If i try to update BIOS, it gives an error that BIOS cannot be upgraded in Windows Server.

Please help.

Thanks,
Bidwan
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Memory Upgrade - BIOS problems

Post by martini161 »

did you try flashing the bios in DOS?
bidwan
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by bidwan »

Yes i did, but no help.
stevetamis
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by stevetamis »

Hi,Every one

The BIOS is boot firmware, designed to be the first code run by a PC when powered on. The initial function of the BIOS is to identify, test, and initialize system devices such as the video display card, hard disk, floppy disk and other hardware. The BIOS prepares the machine for a known state, so that software stored on compatible media can be loaded, executed, and given control of the PC.