4gb of ram causing a crash

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

4gb of ram causing a crash

Post by XstollieX »

Hiya all

I am having a serious issue. I was able to install vista ultimate on my rig with 4 gb of ram. When it went to boot for the first time it crashed. I decided to strip the rig to the minimums 1 piece at a time. First out was a stick of ram. It booted! Ran all the updates and worked with out fail through several restarts. I put the second stick back in and BOOM it crashed. Thought I may have a bad stick of ram. Swapped it to the first slot and it booted like it should. I put both back in ( in the opposite order of the initial attempt ) same crash. Currently running memtest 1.7 on both sticks to rule them out as being bad. If anyone has encountered this issue please let me know. This issue is on my evga 780i board and q6600 all at stock settings. it has been running fine in xp since i built it.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: 4gb of ram causing a crash

Post by martini161 »

is it 64 bit?
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

yes it is. Though either way it shouldn't cause a crash should it. If it was 32bit is would only see less, like xp only saw about 3 gb.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

I had this issue with Vista 64bit as well...I'm surprised the updates didn't fix the issue but either way http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Alathald wrote:I had this issue with Vista 64bit as well...I'm surprised the updates didn't fix the issue but either way http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
thanks ill give that a go ill let ya know! :)

Well It worked great!! Thanks again.