Why is only 6GB of 12GB Usable in Windows 7?

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Why is only 6GB of 12GB Usable in Windows 7?

Post by Apoptosis »

I was just tinkering around with Windows 7 64-bit and noticed that only 6GB of my 12GB worth of memory is usable... Any clue on how to make all of it usable?

I'm running the Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard with BIOS F9D (2009/09/01).
6gb.png
6gb.png (135 KiB) Viewed 19207 times
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Why is only 6GB of 12GB Usable in Windows 7?

Post by dicecca112 »

Has it worked before on 7? I'm not seeing anything on Technet or MSDN indicating this is an issue. Must be a motherboard issue, I'd bring it up with Gigabyte

Edit from another thread on Technet
In MSConfig, under the Boot tab, if you click "Advanced options", "Maximum memory" should be unchecked - is that the case?

I don't think it's a hardware problem as such if Windows can see there's 12GB, which apparently it does, but elects to use only 8GB.

Edit: I am assuming that's the message in the System window and that the BIOS reports 12GB, or did the BIOS only report 8GB, in which case it is a hardware configuration problem?
Also from that thread it says to make sure you have the latest bios from Gigabyte as this was an early issue with Gigabyte boards and Win7
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah I did a Google search and found the same thread... I am using the latest BIOS and that maximum memory box is already unchecked:
max_memory.png
max_memory.png (27.66 KiB) Viewed 19182 times
I don't think it's a board issue as all 12GB are seen by the BIOS and Windows... It just says only 6GB are usable in Windows 7 though. For example task manager only shows 6GB:
max_memory2.png
max_memory2.png (43.55 KiB) Viewed 19181 times
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

resource_monitor.jpg
resource_monitor.jpg (147.18 KiB) Viewed 19090 times
I'm still working on the issue, but already tried lowering the memory frequency from 1600MHz to 1333MHz with no luck. I also contacted Kingston and they have seen this issue, but are not sure if it is a motherboard BIOS issue, something with the Core i7 series of processors or something to do with Windows 7... very interesting
Follow Me on Twitter!
Velo:Sity

Post by Velo:Sity »

From this thread:
Ok, my problem was that I had an old BIOS and there was no update. I just installed a new mainboard and using all the same components, 7 runs great!!! The board should have supported up to 8GB, but in practice it did not seem to be the case. I don't know the exact reason, memory timings perhaps? I suggest that you look at this closely as a possible cause.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

yeah, but I'm not using old hardware. I'm using the Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard with the latest BIOS from last month. This is the flagship Gigabyte motherboard and it's ~$340 alone. If it's a BIOS issue supporting memory then Gigabyte really dropped the ball this time around.

Someone shouldn't spend over $5,000 in hardware and then not have it work right.

Follow Me on Twitter!
little_tea_pot
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by little_tea_pot »

I just noticed that my 4gb was showing up as (3.25 usable). I enable Memory remapping in the BIOS (ASUS board) and the (3.25 usable) is now gone, it just shows 4.00 GB now. I'm not sure if this is the issue you guys are talking about, but looking around actually helped me!
TooT! TooT!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

little_tea_pot wrote:I just noticed that my 4gb was showing up as (3.25 usable). I enable Memory remapping in the BIOS (ASUS board) and the (3.25 usable) is now gone, it just shows 4.00 GB now. I'm not sure if this is the issue you guys are talking about, but looking around actually helped me!
I've looked around the internet for hours and can't figure it out... On an ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe motherboard everything is fine, but on this Gigabyte GA-EX58-EXTREME motherboard there seems to be an issue. I'm waiting to hear back from Gigabyte to see what is going on. I searched the BIOS for memory 'remapping' features, but can't find anything like that on this Gigabyte board.
Follow Me on Twitter!
skier

Post by skier »

can you set the maximum memory to 12GB?
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Like I said in my previous post it's only with this board that I am having this issue, so I don't think it's a Windows 7 issue now.

I plugged in my RST Pro 3 memory diagnostics card and it detects 6 modules, but can only access 6GB of them. This leads me to believe that this is 100% a BIOS issue as the RST Pro is OS independent.

Gigabyte will be visiting Kingston today in California to try and re-create the issue that I am seeing here.
The RST Pro sees all six modules SPDs
The RST Pro sees all six modules SPDs
six_modules.jpg (44.3 KiB) Viewed 18922 times
When benchmarking only 6GB can be benchmarked
When benchmarking only 6GB can be benchmarked
benchmarking.jpg (56.57 KiB) Viewed 18922 times
The memory available to the RST Pro for testing and benchmarking
The memory available to the RST Pro for testing and benchmarking
available_memory.jpg (62.87 KiB) Viewed 18922 times
Follow Me on Twitter!
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »

nm
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

4 days of silence from Gigabyte.... Not sure what is up with this. Guess I will be moving to an ASUS board in my personal system if this one can't run 12GB.
Follow Me on Twitter!
spitter
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by spitter »