DDR3-1800 and Rampage II Extreme (mix kits?)

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

DDR3-1800 and Rampage II Extreme (mix kits?)

Post by Calamar »

Hi,
some months ago I bought an ASUS Rampage II Extreme. The idea, of course, was to overclock ([email protected]).
The fact is, at that time, I considered 3 GB triple channel DDR-14400 (1800Mhz) would do. I bought a kingston kit.
Now, due to windows 7, and the need of more RAM for CFD (3GB has proven to be not enough) I decided to buy some more ram.

1) My problem is Kingston discontinued my previously bought kit KHX14400D3K3/3GX. Would be its equivalent KHX1800C9D3K3/3GX? http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX1 ... K3_3GX.pdf. I can't find the original kit in spain.

2) Also I was wondering If I could install 9GB instead of 6GB (3GB kit + 6GB kit *NEW*). I don't know if I can keep the triple channel with mixed size kits.

3) Also kingston site (but not asus nor rampage II manual) states this:
Technical Notes
MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN GROUPS OF THREE for Triple Channel mode. Kingston offers "K3" kit part numbers for Triple Channel mode. MODULES MUST BE ORDERED AND INSTALLED IN PAIRS for Dual Channel mode. Kingston offers "K2" kit part numbers for Dual Channel mode. If 4GB is installed, the recognized memory may be reduced to 3.5GB or less (depending on system configuration and memory allocation). A 64-bit Operating System is required to utilize more than 4GB of memory.
Per ASUS, Intel XMP and DDR3-1600 or higher speed is supported in one DIMM per channel only.
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/hyperx_ ... ysID=52285
I have had no issues with the memory until now but buy 3GB or 6GB kit costs too much to be unable to use the memory (or be forced to lower its freq). Or just only talks about higher than 1600Mhz timmings identification?

Could someone help me with this? Thank you.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: DDR3-1800 and Rampage II Extreme (mix kits?)

Post by InspectahACE »

1) the timings on the 2nd model you listed are different..your original ram kit should adjust (either auto or manually) to the timings, not sure on that one..but other than timing(not ram speed) they seem to be the same.

2) You can install 9GB..3GB+6GB should be fine. you have 3 channels with 6 slots.. 2 per channel. fill them all and you can still keep triple channel.

3) same as above. for triple channel, any ram kit other than a multiple of 3(sticks) will leave it in dual channel..so 3GB,6GB,9GB,and 12Gb should all run in triple channel.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

Thank you very much for your fast reply.

1) I thought both were 9-9-9-27 are there any other number I should look at to find the good match?

3) Is about to use >1600Mhz memory in all 6 slots. "Per ASUS, Intel XMP and DDR3-1600 or higher speed is supported in one DIMM per channel only." (<-- quote from kingston site, the other small text is the "context") talks about timing detection or use 6 slots (2 dims per channel) in freq > 1600Mhz?
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

No problem..my apologies..you're right on the timings..i must have read the wrong number(happens with too many numbers on screen lol)..

2) I'm not entirely sure, but i only understand that statement from them to say that if you want to use higher than 1600 speed..you will need to use 3 slots. use all 6 and it wont do higher than 1600. personally I think that's rubbish..but I'm only running 6GB-1600mhz on that motherboard so I can't confirm that
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
Calamar
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Calamar »

Thank you very much. I'll buy 6GB, and lets see what happens. Anyway right now I need more the RAM than its speed. I hope W7 (and rampage) will be able to actually handle it. Some nastran models are asking me for 7-8GB so...