FSB of overclocked cpu

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

FSB of overclocked cpu

Post by Merlin »

I read a review online and the guy said "if you have an XP2800+ w/ a fsb of 333 you are wasting money getting 400mhz ram because it wont work well even if you raise you're fsb in bios to 400 because of the auto sync feature in the RAM will still register the cpu as 333. Is this true or bunk?
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Bunk...!!!!!!!!!!! You just have to set the ratio to 1:1 or whatever you MB bios has to run it in sync, then your ram will run the same speed as the CPU, AMD CPU's work better with the ram in sync. So just OC your CPU to 400 FSB and set your ram to run in sysc and you're good to go........the guy that wrote that was a fool........... :twisted:
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Well both are right... If you do not intend or want to overclock your cpu then ddr400 is a waste. if you do want to overclock you cpu then its a good investment because it will run much faster than ddr333.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Merlin »

I do intend on overclocking as much as I can, and have some, but my memory bites and I am a newb , if you couln't tell , at the whole overclocking bit. Right now my memory is the only thing keeping me from running my XP2800 at the max 200mhz my motherboard will support. If I go over 182mhz my bios automatically chages my latency settings beyond what my PC2100 will handle and I no post. I am just trying to max my performance with no bottlenecks and no further upgrades in hardware untill I can go the 64-FX-53 route. So I want the best memory and the right amount i.e 1GB or 512MB that I nedd to get all I can out of my CPU and Mainboard without overkill. I CAN'T AFFORD OVERKILL. I am truly torn between 512 of XMS 3200LL in dual channel or 1GB of Value Select 3200 cas2.5 also in dual channel. HELP!!!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

get the value 3200, if you cant go over 200fsb then geting the xms will do no good as it realy shines when you overclock it. And if you cant afford overkill why buy the FX, its nothing more than overkill with an overkill price. Get a 3400+ on a soket 939 (which comes out next month). you can spend the $400 i just saved you on a new ATI X800.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

If you're not planning on going over 400FSB, then get any quality PC3200 ram. If you think that you might want to shool for higher get some quality ram with tight timings........AMD CPU run much better with tight timings..........2,2,2,11 normally get you the most out of AMD CPU's....... 8)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Merlin wrote:t the max 200mhz my motherboard will support.
200fsb is his topend. and yes the tigher the timings then the more preformace you get. however if the difference is 512 vs 1gig just to get your timings down a little then i would go with the 1gig. most users and most gamers do not notice a differnce between timings when they have twice as much memory.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I noticed a big differance in timings...........but I bench alot..........I'm still running tight timings 2,3,2,11 at 220 FSB. Everything really falls off when I loosen the timings. I guess it's all in what you're looking for......... :shock: