JEDECgate

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Maestro
Legit User
Legit User

JEDECgate

Post by Maestro »

The bottom paragraph of OCZ's press releases says they're a member of JEDEC, the memory standards organization. But OCZ is not listed in JEDEC's membership list here: http://www.jedec.org/service_members/Ne ... mberco.cfm

I guess I could put on my personal website that "Maestro is a member of the Secret Service, the Screen Actors Guild and Hells Angels" and that would be about as true as OCZ's claim.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've never noticed that, but if you look at their DDR600 press release from this month also it's not on there.

For those of you who want to see the paragraph in question it's here it is:
About OCZ Technology Group
OCZ Technology Group, a member of JEDEC, designs, develops and manufactures innovative, ultra high-performance memory that sets the industry standard. OCZ memory is the first choice among the most discriminating PC enthusiasts, highly competitive gamers, and for mission-critical servers requiring high availability. In addition to memory, OCZ is also a leading provider of high-performance cooling solutions, and we back our products with world-class customer service and knowledgeable technical support. OCZ offers upgrades for desktops, notebooks and servers through its worldwide network of distributors, o­nline resellers, and retail stores. A listing of suppliers carrying OCZ products is available at http://www.ocztechnology.com/wheretobuy/ .
I wonder if OCZ just joined or if it was just a typo on their part.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Thats a big time typo. Its not good biz to claim your a member of and organization like JEDEC with out being a member.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
drexor69
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by drexor69 »

You actually think that was a mistake?

You're kidding right?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Yes its a business mistake not a typo
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
drexor69
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by drexor69 »

That I agree with, I thought you were saying you thought it was just a typo and they never meant to imply that they were a member of JEDEC (when they know they aren't).

I imagine they're pretty safe though, I don't remember any headlines about JEDEC going after people for violating their rules or regulations.

I mean, look at what RAMBUS did and JEDEC never went after them... =\
Maestro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Maestro »

my guess is they forgot to delete that phrase after they copied Corsair's press release.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Corsair's Footer:
About Corsair Memory
Corsair Memory, a member of JEDEC, has been a leader in the design and manufacture of high speed modules since 1994. We have earned our reputation as being the first to market with leading-edge products supporting new computing platforms and technologies. Corsair supplies memory for applications ranging from mission-critical servers to ultra-high performance gaming systems. The performance and reliability of Corsair memory products makes them ideal for the high bandwidth internet infrastructure. More information on Corsair is available at http://www.corsairmemory.com.
OCZ's Footer:
About OCZ Technology Group
OCZ Technology Group, a member of JEDEC, designs, develops and manufactures innovative, ultra high-performance memory that sets the industry standard. OCZ memory is the first choice among the most discriminating PC enthusiasts, highly competitive gamers, and for mission-critical servers requiring high availability. In addition to memory, OCZ is also a leading provider of high-performance cooling solutions, and we back our products with world-class customer service and knowledgeable technical support. OCZ offers upgrades for desktops, notebooks and servers through its worldwide network of distributors, o­nline resellers, and retail stores. A listing of suppliers carrying OCZ products is available at http://www.ocztechnology.com/wheretobuy/ .
I don't think you sould call that copied... Similar yes, but copied no.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

jedec is wierd, depending on what you mean by members. Isnt it like they have some higher memebers than others or something...

And i dont think OCZ will do something like that, its too big a marketing risk and could effectivley bring them down due to false advertising and stuff...
Maestro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Maestro »

I can't explain it. wierd. i don't think JEDEC has different levels of membership, but i'm sure they have different sub-commities. they're either not a member, or they're a very new member that's not listed yet.