RAM question

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

RAM question

Post by sbohdan »

I was thinking to upgrade my RAM to 16GB. Is a quad channel kit (4x4GB) would work with my dual channel P67 board? If yes, is there anything negative from using 4 sticks instead of 2 sticks (4x4GB vs 2x8GB)? My present rig is in my sig.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Re: RAM question

Post by KnightRid »

2x8 gives you 2 more slots for the future if your MB and OS will take more than 16gb of ram.

Will the quad channel work, yes. I know some motherboards freak out when all memory slots are full but other than that, quad channel is just set together for quad channel boards. If you buy it now and upgrade to a quad channel board, you are already set.

I would buy the quad if you are upgrading to a quad channel board soon. I would buy the 2x8 if you are able to expand to 32gb and are seriously considering it down the road. If not, I would snag whichever is cheaper.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

If you occupy all 4 slots then it's still dual channel. The only downside to more RAM is lowered overclocking headroom (usually just the RAM).
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Thanks for clarifying that KnightRid. I was more afraid of the RAM not being able to perform at the same timings or speed when all 4 DIM slots are populated (like it was common is some past MOBO's). As for not being able to upgrade to 32GB - I don't really care for that since even 16GB is mostly overkill and by the time future software will be able to utilize that much RAM, I will get a newer system anyway :P
Major_A wrote:If you occupy all 4 slots then it's still dual channel. The only downside to more RAM is lowered overclocking headroom (usually just the RAM).
As far as I know, I can't run RAM over 2133Mhz in the P67 MOBO anyway, or am I wrong about that? I would maybe tighten the timings if possible.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=