New CORSAIR Dominator Platinum Kit Has Different Spreaders

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

New CORSAIR Dominator Platinum Kit Has Different Spreaders

Post by Apoptosis »

I opened up a set of CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 2133MHz memory modules the other day and just noticed something about them. The silver tops on the modules heat spreaders are different. They looked off in the system and sure enough they are totally different. Once is machined and the other appears to be cast. The depth of the font and the font itself is also different between the modules in the same kit. The real kicker is the screws heads are different. It looks like Corsair is sourcing their parts from more than one company and are just mixing and matching them on the assembly line (one module had rounded heads and the other are more square).

Someone over at Corsair better step up the quality control as when you pay $100-$250 for a dual-channel memory kit you expect them to have the same look! ](*,)

Check out the letter R in the image below to see the font difference.
different-font.jpg
If you click on the image you can see how the top module has more of a shine to the surface and you can see the machine swirl marks from what looks to be a CNC machine.
different-spreaders.jpg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New CORSAIR Dominator Platinum Kit Has Different Spreade

Post by Apoptosis »

Got a quick response from Corsair:
They did a changeover last year to the bottom style. Must have been an older style spreader in parts inventory and they didn’t notice during assembly. I sent the PM and VP so they can get the plant to screen for old style spreaders.

We’ll swap them if anyone runs into this problem.
So, if you have a pair of Dominator Platinum modules with different heat spreaders shoot Corsair tech support an e-mails!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!