Intel dp45sg memory problem?

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
TedM
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Intel dp45sg memory problem?

Post by TedM »

Getting three beeps at POST. Removed and reseated ram (Corsair 1G DDR3 X 4), no help. Decided to try seating individually, discovered that if I populate DIMM 0, channel B ONLY, computer works normally but very slow. Any time there is a ram stick in DIMM 0, channel A (no matter what rest of configuration looks like) then I get the 3 beep code. DP45SG setup guide says, "Regardless of the memory configuration used (dual or single channel), Channel A, DIMM 0 must always be populated. This is a requirement of the ICH10R Manageability Engine feature." But populating DIMM 0, Channel A is exactly what yields the triple beeps, while populating only DIMM 0, Channel B shouldn't even work (but it does). So, is this a mobo problem? Am I missing something? What gives? And NO, I am not confusing Channel A & B. I know what I'm looking at.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Intel dp45sg memory problem?

Post by kenc51 »

Have you tried a different stick of RAM in that slot?
Is there an updated bios for your board?
Try manually setting the memory timings in the bios & add 0.1v as well

Welcome to LR btw
TedM
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Intel dp45sg memory problem?

Post by TedM »

@kenc51: Thanks for the response and the welcome!

BIOS is current.

Yes, I've tried all four sticks separately, one stick at a time, in the DIMM 0, Channel A slot - all give the same results - three beeps. Conversely, I've tried all four separately in the DIMM 0, Channel B slot, normal boot but slow (working single channel).

Further testing shows that I get three beeps if I try to populate either the DIMM 0 or DIMM 1 slot in Channel A! But both slots in Channel B work fine, just slow. In other words, Channel A simply doesn't seem to be working at all.

So, all sticks seem OK, but entire Channel A has failed.

I appreciate the manual bios suggestions, but I think this has got to be a mobo fault (you agree?). Will try manual bios configuration, though, just to see.

Any other tests/procedures that might be useful/conclusive?