RAM issue

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Gustavo Woltmann
Legit User
Legit User
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am

RAM issue

Postby Gustavo Woltmann » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:26 am

My laptop became a little slow from last 3-4 months. My friend had a spare 4gb ram. So i took his spare one and put in my laptop. My laptop had already a 4gb ram. But after putting 4+4=8gb i found no change on my laptop. It is as slow as it was before.

What should I do now?

User avatar
KnightRid
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:21 am
Location: Dallastown, PA

Re: RAM issue

Postby KnightRid » Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:33 am

Make sure the 8gb of ram is actually showing up and if it is, consider getting a SSD.
Cigar Blog I review for - http://www.stogiereview.com

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:

User avatar
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:33 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: RAM issue

Postby sbohdan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:39 am

If it slowed down in the last few months, than it is not the RAM. You need to do some cleanup on the computer because windows and the browsers get cluttered by a lot of garbage. Also, you need to disable all unnecessary apps running in the background, that got there by installing them on your computer since.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte GA-P67-UD4-B3, 2500K@4.7Ghz,1.428V, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws 2133Mhz 10-12-12-31@1.6V, MSI GTX 1060 3GT OC, Asus 24" 1ms 144hz, 2xOCZ Vertex4 128GB RAID0, Samsung 2TB; PC P&C 750W, Win7 Ultimate 64
Laptop: Dell XPS 1530 (T9500; 4GB 800 RAM; 120GB Crucial SSD; 8600GT; WIN7 64bit)
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: viewtopic.php?t=3263&highlight=

blaxkassassin
Legit Little One
Legit Little One
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:09 am

Re: RE: RAM issue

Postby blaxkassassin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:11 am

Ensure that the computer read the additional memory installed. If it does then clean the entire computer.....browser history, delete or back up files, remove programs you not using. If this still doesn't work....backup all your files then do a factory reset.

Gustavo Woltmann
Legit User
Legit User
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am

Re: RAM issue

Postby Gustavo Woltmann » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:57 pm

KnightRid wrote:Make sure the 8gb of ram is actually showing up and if it is, consider getting a SSD.


Yeah, it's showing but I don't want to spend on a SSD

User avatar
KnightRid
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:21 am
Location: Dallastown, PA

Re: RAM issue

Postby KnightRid » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:25 am

Gustavo Woltmann wrote:
KnightRid wrote:Make sure the 8gb of ram is actually showing up and if it is, consider getting a SSD.


Yeah, it's showing but I don't want to spend on a SSD


Only thing I can suggest is to start fresh. BACKUP YOUR DATA (pictures, music, movies, documents, favorites, etc that you dont have stored online already) then Wipe it and reinstall windows (your laptop probably has a recovery partition that will let you reset it to like the day you bought it). You will have to redownload all updates and programs you want reinstalled.

you never told us what model laptop you have, what cpu, what programs you are running, if it is slow on the main windows screen with nothing running or if certain programs slow it down, is it just slow in your browser (if so then it is your internet or you can clear your browser cache and try again), is it overheating, is the hard drive full....

Ok I had one other thought, run malwarebytes (its free) and see what it finds and get rid of the crap....
Cigar Blog I review for - http://www.stogiereview.com

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:

Gustavo Woltmann
Legit User
Legit User
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:21 am

Re: RAM issue

Postby Gustavo Woltmann » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:19 am

KnightRid wrote:
Gustavo Woltmann wrote:
KnightRid wrote:Make sure the 8gb of ram is actually showing up and if it is, consider getting a SSD.


Yeah, it's showing but I don't want to spend on a SSD


Only thing I can suggest is to start fresh. BACKUP YOUR DATA (pictures, music, movies, documents, favorites, etc that you dont have stored online already) then Wipe it and reinstall windows (your laptop probably has a recovery partition that will let you reset it to like the day you bought it). You will have to redownload all updates and programs you want reinstalled.

you never told us what model laptop you have, what cpu, what programs you are running, if it is slow on the main windows screen with nothing running or if certain programs slow it down, is it just slow in your browser (if so then it is your internet or you can clear your browser cache and try again), is it overheating, is the hard drive full....

Ok I had one other thought, run malwarebytes (its free) and see what it finds and get rid of the crap....


It's a Dell Latitude E6430, Win 8.1. I don't run heavy programs or a lot of programs at a time. I used to play games before but, since it becomes slow, I don't play games now. The browser is slow too.

User avatar
KnightRid
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3628
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:21 am
Location: Dallastown, PA

Re: RAM issue

Postby KnightRid » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:18 am

Ok then I would suggest to try the malwarebytes first and see how that works.

OH - you could also try ccleaner and try to fix the registry with that and see how it goes. Just be warned, if there are a lot of errors you could corrupt the registry and not be able to start windows so make sure you have a restore point or better yet, a complete backup you can restore.

Windows will slow down over time due to the stupid registry and I have had to format and reinstall if the above didnt work.
Cigar Blog I review for - http://www.stogiereview.com

Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:


Return to “Memory Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest