2.0v memory in a 1.8v board

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
KnightRid

2.0v memory in a 1.8v board

Post by KnightRid »

Well that Intel motherboard I got - DG965WH - states it only works with 1.8v memory. I got 2.0v memory from werewolfdaddy :(

Will it work?

will it hurt anything if I try it?

should i just shoot myself now? :p retorical question, that was ;)

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

Now i know why I stick with AMD for everything - my lord Intel stuff seems picky!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Update - read from Kingstons board -

Kingston's KHX6400D2LLK2/1G is a kit of two low-latency 64M x 64-bit (512MB) DDR2-800 CL4 SDRAM (Synchronous DRAM) memory modules, based on eight 64M x 8-bit DDR2 FBGA components per module. Total kit capacity is 1GB (1024MB). Each module pair has been tested to run at DDR2 800MHz at low latency timing of 4-4-4-12 at 2.0V. The SPD is programmed to JEDEC standard latency 667Mhz timing of 5-5-5-15 at 1.8V. Each 240-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +1.8V.

So I take it the memory wiull work but run like slow crappy memory?

*sigh*

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

You can run higher than 1.8V as long as the BIOS has the settings to go higher than that. Running more than 1.8V wont hurt the memory and Kingston HyperX is overclocking memory, so it is meant to be pushed like this. It also has heat spreaders to help handle the heat produced from the extra voltage... go ahead and run 2.0V and try out 4-4-4-12 2T timings.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

no no no - the board is only 1.8V - the memory states it is 2.0v - but i think I answered my question before - it will just run slower.

As far as I know there is no way to bump the voltage up on this Intel MB - sucks! damn Intel...Dual Core better be worth it :p

Mike

Hopefully with the SPD set to the 1.8v 667mhz 5-5-5-15 it will work - just be slower than it should be :(
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

well if I saw a thread saying you were gonna buy an intel board, I would have smacked you first of all. Second like you said its just gonna run slower. So really overclocking for you is out of question. Intel boards tend to be overpriced, you could have got the S3 from Gigabyte and had some OCing options, and it still would have been cheaper than the Intel board