Computer will NOT recognize Memory

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
theugdude
Legit User
Legit User

Computer will NOT recognize Memory

Post by theugdude »

It is like the OS (XP) won't recognize the RAM!
I have a P4P800S-X ASUS motherboard and a Pentium 4 CPU (2.4 Ghz 2400Mhz and 533 FSB). I have been using a Sumsung 512 RAM (PC3200 DDR400) and recently I decided to add another one that is identical. However, the computer would not recognize it. In the BIOS set up I can see that I have 1024MB but when I check on My Compter properties I only see 504MB and no improvement in speed. I have checked both the sticks of RAM and the slots on the motherboard individually and they are good. I have used a PC2700 DDR333 1GB stick (the motherboard manufacturer recommends PC2700 DDR333 for 533 FSB) and I still see 504MB only! I have updated the BIOS and still no good news.

Any help or tips will be welcome. Thanks.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Are you using Windows XP?

I've seen systems that have 512mb of installed, but the user only sees 504mb when you right-click they system properties menu as they are using a motherboard that has on-board video, which is taking up 8mb of your RAM.

Since the P4P800S-X doesn't have integrated video this is strange.

You aren't using an ATI video card with Hypermemory or an NVIDIA card with TurboCache by chance are you?
theugdude
Legit User
Legit User

Post by theugdude »

Yes I am using an ATI video card so like you say the 8MB are lost there I think. But the mystery of another 512MB that is not detected is what is bothering me most.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

What exact video card are you using and what operating system? If we had more information we could help give you a better answer!

I'm guessing that when you try all the modules by themselves that they all work fine and if they show up fine in the BIOS it leads me to believe that something is right with the OS.
theugdude
Legit User
Legit User

Post by theugdude »

I am using Windows XP professional and an ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB video card. I installed the latest drivers for that one as well.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

hum... It's a mystery to me then...

If you've gone into the BIOS and loaded defaults and it it wont show in windows something must be boinked... If this is on a recent build I'd try installing windows again.

Maybe one of the other forum members can shed some light on this.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Weird :?
Have you checked for a updated bios for your motherboard? Most bios updates are for memory compatibility.

Welcome to the forums btw!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

kenc51 wrote:Weird :?
Have you checked for a updated bios for your motherboard? Most bios updates are for memory compatibility.

Welcome to the forums btw!
He said he updated the BIOS in his first post ;)
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

A quick google shows that MB with a lot of complaints about ram, HD's, etc. not being detected or only sometimes being detected.
To me it sounds like it could be
defective ram
a power supply problem
a bios/design error (most likely)
you could try it with the ram set to a lower speed
djvabc
Legit User
Legit User

Post by djvabc »

You can check to see if the DIMM works by swapping it with the one you were using before. Swap slots with the other might be another option. Is the board picky on what slots you can populate?