Help Me Understand: CPU OC'ing and RAM FSB

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

I forgot....

You never said in the other post that you have dual X1900....

So go for the GSkill (4 large) GB.. if you can
brites
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by brites »

Ok... here is some more on GSKill

$149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231087

and the review (via google translate)

http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

And now, the panic ensues.

I've got the PC up and runnning. Everything was great until I put the memory in DDR2 mode. Now my Northbridge is overheating. HELP!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

DDR2 Mode? Do you have a dual ddr1 and 2 board?

Overheating? to the point where it stops or just hotter than usual. If its just hotter then its possible its just because it has to work harder to use all of the ddr2 speed, or are we running it at 400Mhz FSB?

Is this a new board? If so try and check if the heatsink on the NB is making good contact with the chip.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I was running the rig at my friends house last night (where we built it). I was fine and stable with the defaults. However, I made the mistake of installing the RAM modules adjacent to each other (which is how my abit board was) expecting that to be a bank. After running CPU-Z I realized my RAM wasn't in DDR2 mode so I went back the manual. I had one of the RAM modules in the wrong slot. So I moved it before I hooked my PC back up at my house this morning. Now the Asus software reports my motherboard temps in the 49C range. My Proc is still at 32C
AntiV6
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by AntiV6 »

Skippman wrote:I was running the rig at my friends house last night (where we built it). I was fine and stable with the defaults. However, I made the mistake of installing the RAM modules adjacent to each other (which is how my abit board was) expecting that to be a bank. After running CPU-Z I realized my RAM wasn't in DDR2 mode so I went back the manual. I had one of the RAM modules in the wrong slot. So I moved it before I hooked my PC back up at my house this morning. Now the Asus software reports my motherboard temps in the 49C range. My Proc is still at 32C
He means Dual Channel. :finga:

make sure your NB and SB heatsinks are on good. Return your CPU the default speed.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I never overclocked it.

I've done some research and the motherboard heat issue appears to be a design flaw in the machine. Couple that with really bad onboard sound drivers and you get a glitchy machine. I can run regular windows all day but sound in games like BF2 is all glitched out.

Also, even running BF2 for an hour only increased the mobo temp 2-3C.