Dell memory question

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Dell memory question

Post by vicaphit »

I have a Dimension e521 with 1 gig of ram (ddr2, pc2 4200) Im wondering if I can get pc2 5400. Is it all compatible? If not, is 4200 the highest rating I can get for my motherboard?

any help will be great.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Can you post a screenshot of CPUZ? If you can show what CPU and Chipset the PC has, we can tell you if it will work at PC5400 speeds.
If your board doesn't support PC5400, it will run the ram @ PC4200 speeds instead anyway and if your going to add PC5400 dimms to work with the PC4200 stuff, then it will be forced to work at PC4200.....
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

so even if I bought it at a higher speed, it would work, but at the max speed of my board... ok

another question, Does all of your ram have to be the same if you have multiple chips? I have 2x 512, and would like to have 2 gigs, but only want to buy one more gig and add it to the existing chips (I have 4 slots).
JohntechUPi
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by JohntechUPi »

That is not always true with OEM especially with Dell systems as they will often time's restrict the Bios to keep is smaller in size and normally they will not include all of the Information needed to use a faster module. I would suggest using a module that is spec'ed for your system.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Well, I bought a gig stick of 5200, and it runs just find in my computer.