Mushkin Registered 3200 SPD Issues

From general questions to the harder advanced user topics you will find them here!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mushkin Registered 3200 SPD Issues

Post by Apoptosis »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the Mushkin 1GB PC3200 ECC Reg High Performance Dual Pack of memory in and observed some SPD issues on the modules I received. More specifically they would only run at 157.1MHz no matter what I set anything at!

My System:
ASUS SK8N (Bios 1004)
Athlon 64 FX-51
nVidia 5900 256mb

Below are the first modules i received:
As you can clearly tell the modules are running a CPU/14 divider and the timings are no where near the 2-3-2 "High Performance" settings. No matter what setting the speed of the memory was set at in the BIOS (133, 166, 200) we could not get the memory to run at my selected speed. I could change the timings without any problems.

Since Kingston, Corsair, and Legacy PC-3200 memory works fine in our test system we narrowed it quickly down to the SPD and got some more modules over night mailed to us from Mushkin. Mushkin also noted that they were aware of the incorrect SPD's, but thought the issue was solved... looks like some leaked pass testing

Below are the "hand-checked" modules i received:
This time around you can see that on "AUTO" memory settings the SPD is properly set and note the ~1.2GB in bandwidth increase.

Since you can set your BIOS to DDR400 without any issues you have no way of easily knowing if your Mushkin memory is running correctly. I highly advise if you own any of these modules to download CPU-Z and check to make sure your modules are actually running at the proper specs!