Sherwood RD-7503 A/V Receiver Pictures and First Thoughts

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Sherwood RD-7503 A/V Receiver Pictures and First Thoughts

Post by vbironchef »

Keeping up with tech. is a pain. Not to mention a rip off because tech. is such a bad investment. Just as soon as you think you got the latest, it's outdated! Sounds like your in the same boat as me. If I ever upgrade I will go with separate components and have the computer as a mode to do software updates. I think that is the wave of the future. Just need to look to see if a piece of equipment can connect to the computer for updates. BTW, I know a bunch of programmers that are looking for a job that will take care of their lifestyles. I think this could be it! What do you think?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Now that I'm back from CES I'm trying to solve this problem again... Called Sherwood Tech Support and was told that the only tech support person that they had on staff quit.

The Contact Page Still Lists Eugene Chavez as the tech support contact, but calling (562) 741-0960 (Ext. 115) they tell you they need to take your name and number as no one is working in that position and went as far as saying that Eugene quit... What a PITA.

http://www.sherwoodusa.com/cc_contact.html
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Well I think Sherwood finally figured out that I have a bad model that shouldn't have been shipped to me...

I just learned that the factory did experience similar problems during pre-production but that all units were fixed prior to shipment. My guess is that at least one of the early units escaped. We will ship you a new, tested unit and ask that your return the current receiver to my attention.
Looks like I have a new one on the way, but man didn't that cause me two weeks of problems.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

Nice to see they are stepping up to take care of the problem.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

After waiting nearly two weeks on the replacement it arrived today... Same exact problem as before... I played around with it some more and found something I think is interesting.

For starters I'm using a motorola HD set top box model number DCH3200.My 52" 1080P HDTV is a Toshiba 52RV530U and the receiver is of course the Sherwood RD-7503.

If I turn my cable box on first it says 1080i on the front, if I turn on the receiver second it still shows 1080i on the front of the Motorola DCH3200 cable box. If I then turn on the Toshiba 52RV530U HDTV the cable box changes from 1080i to 480p.

What is strange is that my HTPC used to work in 1080P on the old Sherwood RD-7502 receiver, but now with the RD-7503 in the mix the HTPC also can't do any other resolution than 480p.

No other components have changes, not even a cable. I attached a video of what happens when I turn on the TV last.

Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Sherwood wrote me back today with this:
Ordinarily, the TV determines system resolution. As you are probably well aware, each of today's advanced HDMI/HDCP sets sends its EDID upon turn-on. This identifies the set and its capabilities. Your description of the problem seems to exactly describe and EDID issue with the Toshiba. May I suggest that you contact Toshiba or search on the web for any firmware updates that may apply to your TV.
I called Toshiba (talked to a lady named Jennifer) and sure enough the Toshiba 52RV530U doesn't have any firmware updates available... They said it's not the TV...

She informed me that the TV only shoots out the resolution signal from what is getting from the source. When it goes through the receiver it's only 480p, so she said that it's something set wrong in the receiver.

I now have two receivers, 480p video and the super bowl is this weekend.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

does your TV have an optical out? i have a similar problem when i try to use hdmi pass through on my reciver. i just do hdmi to the tv and optical to the receiver now :dunno:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

You are going to have to go my way. Before you leave the store make sure you have all the cables. You don't have much time. You always can return the stuff after the game.
luftek
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: Sherwood RD-7503 A/V Receiver Pictures and First Thought

Post by luftek »

vbironchef wrote:You are going to have to go my way. Before you leave the store make sure you have all the cables. You don't have much time. You always can return the stuff after the game.
Thank you for the hint. Make use of your suggestion!