What movie manager do you use?

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

What movie manager do you use?

Post by Sowser »

I have a fairly substantial movie colection that I'lmplanning to burn to my new PC and I'm wondering what programs you guys are using for movie managment. I'd like to have something that would give me a brief description, a nice image, and the ability to search by Title/Dirrector/Actor if possible. What do you guys use and why? Also is there a prefered format in which to store movie files? I have 5 TB of space in a RAID 5 array and playback is on a 32'' 1080 P flat screen.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: What movie manager do you use?

Post by Major_A »

When I rip a movie to my HTPC I use AutoGK. It's easy and fairly quick. There are better alternatives out there that offer more options but I don't think I need them.

Easiest way to get a nice picture (sorry no description) is to create a folder. Name it the title of the movie. Name your video file the same name as the folder. Find a picture of the DVD folder (it has to be a jpg as far as I know) and name it folder. Drop that picture into the folder and now you have a thumbnail of what is in the folder.

Example:

As far as a manager I use SageTV. It does give descriptions of files but they have to be MPG or MPEG files to have it. Then again this PC was built to record TV and watch movies on (DVD player, file player, etc...).
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

With a 32" screen, I think autogk would be fine also. For the highest quality, you could iso the whole dvd and use vlcplayer to play the iso ;) If you have a nice surround, you may want to make the movies at least 2 cds in length while using at least the 5.1 audio option.

I do not really know about the movie manager programs, I just use an OpenOffice spreadsheet to keep track of my dvds since I would not have enough money to buy the hard drives needed to put them all to digital with keeping the entire dvd structure in tact - I have a 50" plasma, so I would need higher quality than an xvid/divx i believe.

Oh 1 movie manager I have looked in to was at collectorz.com - the movie manager that is there is neat. I also have used the libra one that lets you use your webcam to scan the upc and it auto enters the info that way.

Mike

autogk is free, so give it a try and see what you think compared with the original dvd. Only problem I have with divx and xvid are the black areas - I ALWAYS get blockiness in the black areas.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
SunilSamuel
Legit User
Legit User

Post by SunilSamuel »

Pilot wrote:I use Movienizer, i like the features it has and the user-friendly interface. you can create your own movie database, download all the information about the movie with covers and photos,easily browse the collection, sort info etc.. I really like it

yes i have tried this..... good one
DavidGill
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by DavidGill »

I am using Movienizer, because of its luxurious features.
Karcher
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Karcher »

DavidGill wrote:I am using Movienizer, because of its luxurious features.
Indeed, a very handy tool that doesn't need installation in between. I use Movienizer for a long time, and I'm completely satisfied with its development.
Last edited by Karcher on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
ryancross
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by ryancross »

I use MeD's Movie Manager...It is simple to use and also it work great...Also sometimes I use eXtreme Movie Manager 7.1..It's also a good option...
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

Right now I'm using TVersity to stream to two X-Box 360's. It has the advantage of being able to transcode just about anything but seems to have an issue with some higher quality MKV stuff. I'm suspecting it's possibly a processor bottleneck on my server side.

I've heard good things about Boxee as well. I believe there's even a plug in now for AppleTV that will let you do Boxee through it using the native Apple Interface which is pretty good.

How to get Boxee working on AppleTV
rosalemon
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by rosalemon »

eXtreme Movie Manager 7.1.. and updated version is working very smoothly. i am habitual of eXtreme Movie Manager 7.1.
maxic9
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by maxic9 »

I am using All My Movies. I like the feature to link the movie records to their actual video files, so I can start movie playback right from the list!