Video In

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Video In

Postby Sowser » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am

Does anyone have a line on a good video capture device? I'd like something that I could directly connect my cable box and video camera up to.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Video In

Postby Major_A » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:18 am

Any capture card will supply you with a video in. But in order to control your cable box, aka change the channel, you will need one that has a IR blaster. I've been using a Hauppauge PVR-150 with my satellite box for several years now to have my own PVR that can change the channel for me.

Sowser
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Postby Sowser » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:27 am

So looking at these:

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116015

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850 MC Board Only
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116044

The only difference is that one comes with a remote plus other doo-dads and the other does not?

This snippet from the discription of the "Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1850 MC Board Only" confused me a little.
The WinTV-HVR-1850 board adds on-board Media Center and WinTV remote control receiver/blaster. Now you can get IR receive and blast for both Media Center and the WinTV v7 application, without needing an external "beanbag".

And also even though these have tv tuners I would still need to buy an HD antenna to watch over the air tv correct?
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Postby Major_A » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:02 pm

Get the remote if you can. Yes you will need an antenna ( a $5 one at Walmart can pick up HD signals, don't buy into those "HD antennas"). Either of those will work.

Return to “Home Theater Discussion”