HELP with LG LCD 42" tv

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
montyspal
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

HELP with LG LCD 42" tv

Post by montyspal »

We have am LG lcd 42" tv 42LC2D that's just over 3 years old. It's had a problem since it was just out of warranty. Green staticy snow appears in dark areas of the screen, so it moves depending on the picture. We tried to contact LG to give us assistance, but no luck. We had it in and out of the shop three times now, with no results. The first time the power supplier and digital/analog modules were rebuilt. This did not do the trick. Next time the main video control module was replaced. This did nothing. He stated it was okay but when it was home and plugged in it started again. The third time I think nothing was done. He just had it plugged in and he stated that it was okay. We noticed on this site that people have had similar problems with plasma tvs. Seems it was a voltage problem. The back of our tv is off, but I can't see where to adjust the voltage. Is an LCD similar to a plasma? Dunno what to do next, just maybe bury it (may it rest in peace)
Help anyone?!?!?!
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: HELP with LG LCD 42" tv

Post by shamrok3 »

Is this on Digital signal? I know that our Sony 40" gets something similar, but only on analogue signals, it's normal and just general signal noise. Have a look through the options, see if there is some sort of noise filter or somesuch. Apart from that, I'm unsure unless it's analog signal, and I have an LCD.
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

I've never heard of the problem you're refering to with plasma TV's but I have a general idea of what you're talking about. Lets cover some of the basics.

Plasma TV's and LCD's are flat screens. There the similarities end. Plasma uses heated gases where LCD's use pixels to block certian wavelengths of light.

What you're describing sounds like something we call artifacting. It's usually a byproduct of a poor digital signal. Basically it's the digital equivilant of snow. If this is an Off The Air recording I'd check to make sure you're using a high enough gain antenna and that it's oriented properlly for your area. There's a couple of sites out there that will tell you where your local transmitters are in relation to your home for orienting the antenna.

The next thing to check is to make sure you're using a good power filter, not just some cheap power strip from your local Wal-Mart. A good power filter can be had for as little as $50. I recommend, and personally use, Tripp Lite products which can be had for that price range.

If cleaning up your input power doesn't help your last option may simply be a crappy cable. I'd try replacing it with one from MonoPrice which is who I buy all my cables through. They're inexpensive but extremely high quality cables. The only downside is shipping times can be pretty bad depending on how far away you are from California (7 days to St. Louis).
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

montyspal wrote:We have am LG lcd 42" tv 42LC2D that's just over 3 years old. It's had a problem since it was just out of warranty. Green staticy snow appears in dark areas of the screen, so it moves depending on the picture. We tried to contact LG to give us assistance, but no luck. We had it in and out of the shop three times now, with no results. The first time the power supplier and digital/analog modules were rebuilt. This did not do the trick. Next time the main video control module was replaced. This did nothing. He stated it was okay but when it was home and plugged in it started again. The third time I think nothing was done. He just had it plugged in and he stated that it was okay. We noticed on this site that people have had similar problems with plasma tvs. Seems it was a voltage problem. The back of our tv is off, but I can't see where to adjust the voltage. Is an LCD similar to a plasma? Dunno what to do next, just maybe bury it (may it rest in peace)
Help anyone?!?!?!
sounds sorta like the issue i had with the blue dots on my Philips TV that went away after a voltage adjustment.

You certain there is no place for adjustment? Usually there is a place to adjust it on a Plasma as they set the voltage on each one before it leaves the factory last I knew.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Apoptosis wrote:
montyspal wrote:We have am LG lcd 42" tv 42LC2D that's just over 3 years old. It's had a problem since it was just out of warranty. Green staticy snow appears in dark areas of the screen, so it moves depending on the picture. We tried to contact LG to give us assistance, but no luck. We had it in and out of the shop three times now, with no results. The first time the power supplier and digital/analog modules were rebuilt. This did not do the trick. Next time the main video control module was replaced. This did nothing. He stated it was okay but when it was home and plugged in it started again. The third time I think nothing was done. He just had it plugged in and he stated that it was okay. We noticed on this site that people have had similar problems with plasma tvs. Seems it was a voltage problem. The back of our tv is off, but I can't see where to adjust the voltage. Is an LCD similar to a plasma? Dunno what to do next, just maybe bury it (may it rest in peace)
Help anyone?!?!?!
sounds sorta like the issue i had with the blue dots on my Philips TV that went away after a voltage adjustment.

You certain there is no place for adjustment? Usually there is a place to adjust it on a Plasma as they set the voltage on each one before it leaves the factory last I knew.
This is an LCD :axe:

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

DMB2000uk wrote: This is an LCD :axe:

Dan
I don't know about that, Dan. He only says LCD once, right at the start and then proceeds to call it a plasma thereafter.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

shamrok3 wrote:
DMB2000uk wrote: This is an LCD :axe:

Dan
I don't know about that, Dan. He only says LCD once, right at the start and then proceeds to call it a plasma thereafter.
The other times he mentioned plasma, he was saying about how he's seen plasma TV's with similar issues.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

:oops: Fair enough. Has this issue been resolved or is there still unsurety as to the problem?

vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Has anyone thought about changing cables? It would be worth a try. My next suggestion is to let the service provider give it a try. You never said how you get your picture, ex; cable . Does it happen when you watch a DVD?
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

vbironchef wrote:Has anyone thought about changing cables? It would be worth a try. My next suggestion is to let the service provider give it a try. You never said how you get your picture, ex; cable . Does it happen when you watch a DVD?
I guess no one read my post at all. :|
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

Help anyone?!?!?!
If that was actually the case then the problem would most likely lie in the cables or power conditioning as Shamroc3 stated since that would be the only thing different from plugging it in at home.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
subpack
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by subpack »

Hi For information on LG Plasma 42 please see this link. Should solve your problem.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/7580885/LG-TV ... ing-Manual
This is a posted manual, hard to read until you zoom in, but very informative.
Hope it is helpful to you. Ken
luftek
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by luftek »

Hi I have an LCD 42", yesterday it felt down the TV stand and does not display any picture however it does turn out with no problem, i see that it also reacting on the remote control. Can you guys give me hint on what can be defect on the TV?