New LivingRoom Speakers

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
amythompson172
Legit User
Legit User

New LivingRoom Speakers

Post by amythompson172 »

Now that we have the new Samsung 61" LED DLP in the living room, it's time to get a small non-invasive system to accompany the new display. My husband has commented that the sound on the DLP is lacking tremendously compared to our former Toshiba big screen. Of course he has wanted larger speakers for a while now for when he listens to the digital music channels.

This living room system needs to be simple and inexpensive as possible. We are not looking for anything that will blow us away. I don't even really care for surround, just front LCR and a receiver. The center will be placed on the top shelf of the display stand and therefore is limited to a maximum height of 6".

The only source right now is a Dish Network ViP622 receiver. However, when the Samsung dual hi-def player comes in for the HT room, I'll move the Toshiba XA2 to the great room.

I prefer floorstanding mains so that I want have to worry with stands, but I'm not going to totally rule out the use of stands.
For the center I'm considering the Yamaha NS-C125 2-Way Bass-Reflex Center Channel Speaker for $79.99.
This center will fit easily within the 6" shelf space since it's a little under 4" tall.

For the fronts I'm considering the matching Yamaha NS-F310BL 2-Way Bass-Reflex Floorstanding Speaker for $299.99.

I like that these are small/slim and will not be intrusive, plus they are piano black which will match the piano black bezel around the DLP display. $250 for a LCR setup seems cheap enough. Obviously though, with these only sporting 3" woofers, the response is going to be extremely limited. I'll need a very small sub and Yamaha hasn't long released something that I think will work perfectly and will fit in with the equipment easily.

Yamaha YST-FSW150BL Advanced YST II Down-Firing Active Subwoofer for $243.95

This sub should fit on my display shelving with my components and keep me from having a sub box on the front wall.

Of course all of the above are merely what I've found thus far that seems like a good fit.

Receiver wise... the least expensive unit that will pass 1080p HDMI appears to be the Onkyo TX-SR506 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver for $160.

~$790 for this system is really more than I want to spend so I may end up having to opt for a HTIB system. Or maybe consider better towers with 6.5" woofers and fore go a sub since we're not looking for thunder or boom.

Suggestions and recommendations are welcomed!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: New LivingRoom Speakers

Post by vbironchef »

My suggestion is go to a home theater store and give them a price range. Listen to everything in that price range and either try to get them to lower the price or sometimes they have out of the box specials. Sometimes you can find the same thing online only cheaper. I like http://www.paradigm.com/ My speaker set-up cost way over 5K my receiver is a yamaha rx-A3010 cost 2K. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vi ... 0_black_u/ It's really all up to what you can afford.