LCD Repair

A place to talk about A/V receivers, Blu-Ray players, LCD or Plasma TV mounting, audio tips or anything else that you think fits.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

LCD Repair

Post by Kaos Kid »

Has anybody had to have their LCD TVs worked on? I think the LCD panel is going out on my 4yo Sony Bravia KDL46WL135 but I don't know whether it is worth having repaired or not. I like the picture and features up until now, but it is quickly becoming unwatchable. You would thing a TV that was $1700 new would last more than 4 years :evil: especially since I had the original mfr warranty of 1 year, the Amex additional 1 year, and Costco addtl 1 yr warranty and then it fails after all those expire! These panels were supposed to be good for 10 years :evil:

I HAVE to have a screen at least 46in in the living room, or I will go nuts!

To show you what it is doing, this link
TV Problems
leads to my Charter webspace where I have loaded a 30-second .xvid video

edit: HMMMM I just found this interesting notice on the SONY website, hopefully they will honor their statement and replace the panel for me n/c. Wish me luck.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/news-i ... KDL46WL135
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: LCD Repair

Post by Kaos Kid »

Follow-up

I forgot all about this thread since no one had replied to it, but I thought that I would still let you know.

I got in under the wire on this offer from Sony, and Sony was willing to work something out with me. They said that they couldn't repair it because they were out of that panel and couldn't get more. They said they would give me a comparable model, so I said fine. Then they wanted a credit card number, which I found out from other sources meant that they wanted me to pay an upcharge and it would most likely be almost as much as to buy a new TV. I told them sorry I had no credit cards but they could still send me the TV they promised me, lol. Realizing they weren't getting any money from me, then "lo and behold!", they miraculously found a refurbished exact model of my TV and had it delivered to my home and added a 2 year warranty to it. I guess that isn't too bad, it looks pretty good and at least it works, and I get 2 more years of warranty. Still, the big thing they were pushing back when I bought this in 2008 was that the panels were good for 10 years, yet this one went out in 4 years and they would only give a 2 year warranty on its replacement. Oh well, if it lasts me 2 more years then I'll be happy, I'll be jonesing for the newest tech by then anyway.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: LCD Repair

Post by kenc51 »

Almost......

Look on the bright side, you got your replacement and another 1yr warranty.

Now if something happens to the "new" one, then I doubt they have another :-k

Ken