Funeral for Asus M2N-E Board at local Pub

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Funeral for Asus M2N-E Board at local Pub

Post by Methious »

Well I finally killed an Asus product, My 9 month old Asus m2n-e failed to post this morning, was experiencing FSB slippage, was supposed to read FSB 200, and 3 diff diagnostics were reading 200.93. Started downloading updates/drivers for my new M3A board and 8800GT video card this morning, got called away so I shut it down. Came back no joy on the post.

Pulled everything but the video card and memory out, (which I ended up switching out later) pulled all the controller cables, power cables, tested PSU, tried new PSU, tried new cpu, tried every thing. Dead board :toimonster: (diagnostic card read OEM memory on board as stopping post).

Here's the great part, the M3A board is already on the way, Asus said no problem 3 year replacement/repair, SEND BARE BOARD ONLY. Good thing the mobo box is in some land fill. So I get a new board, then I get a new replacement board for the dead board. Gotta love Asus!

The funeral will be held in the local pub tonight, I'll raise a glass to it. :supz: Then raise a dozen for AsusTek. :drinkers:
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Funeral for Asus M2N-E Board at local Pub

Post by DMB2000uk »

:drinkers: Here's to faithful to the last hardware.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Do you experience the slippage at 200HT only? I've set my HT to 240 and I've experienced no slippage. But when it's set to 200HT, CPU-Z will read it was 200.9 or 200.8. I guess that's how the M2N-E was designed.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I hit it at 200 FSB stock, no over clock, stock speed, stock multiplier. It used to read 200 flat, it slipped to 200.93 and the 6400 processor that's supposed to run at 3.2 was reading 3.214. At higher FSB it would read correctly, then slip a little, then go back to the correct FSB speed. I figured it was a voltage regulation problem, ordered the M3A we talked about in the other section, then it died. Temps on the board were good, no over heating chip set. Diagnostic card said "OEM memory on board", code c2, even with no video card or ram installed, said same thing with it installed. Might indicate a Eprom, or Rom failure.

Asus was really good about it, just want bare board, didn't ask for an invoice (I have one), didn't try to shuffle me to the reseller. 3 year repair replacement at a RMA center in Indiana. Average 10 business day turn around (plus Christmas, plus new years day), this is literally the worst time of year for RMA. Holiday shipping, holiday days off etc.

I installed the same Mobo for a neighbor, his is still 200 fsb flat no slippage. It could be some thing else that killed it. It's had 3 processors, been in 3 different cases, 2 different power supplies, 2 sets of memory, hard life. That and it died days after the power outage from the ice storm. Shouldn't be an issue it wasn't on when the power went, and it's plugged into a UPC un-interruptible power supply. Even with a corsair power supply it read fluctuation's on vcore, vdimm etc, not large fluxes, but not normal. I know you have the same board, but I wouldn't let it worry me too much, it probably committed ritual suicide when it realized I was going to sell it to an old lady to internet with. [-o<
Zertz
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Zertz »

I really hope my M2N-E will die soon.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Zertz wrote:I really hope my M2N-E will die soon.
Haha same here. This way, I can get either a M3A or make a whole new Intel build. Or I can just try and convince my mom to let me get a new computer and give this to my sister. :mrgreen:
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

I was actually glad to see it go, I had high expectations for it, in the 9 months I had it things changed quickly, it never over clocked well, and every time I worked on it, it gave me this ewwww I got ECS motherboard on my hand feeling. The rma board is going into a seller, and some old white haired lady will love it at a bargain price. Played most of my games pretty good, but watching those voltages fluctuate just ticked me off. A while back I took the power supply/mobo to a guy with an oscilloscope and he ran voltages and scoped the PSU, and mobo, the mobo was fluctuating more than the PSU, how do you manage that?