Need Advice On Motherboard!!!

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
danbeaulieu
Legit User
Legit User

Need Advice On Motherboard!!!

Post by danbeaulieu »

Hey Guys,

I am new here and also to building computers in general... I really need some advice... I am looking to upgrade my (music production) computer but I am struggling to make a decision on a motherboard.

Currently I have my eye on the Asus M2N32 WS Professional, and I would like to buy ASUS brand. But what I am looking for is a great motherboard that will accept both dual core and quad core processors by AMD.

Heres the components I had picked out (subject to change)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor

ASUS M2N32-WS Pro AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI ATX Server Motherboard

ABS Tagan BZ Series BZ800 ATX12V / EPS12V 800W Power Supply 115 - 230V ± 10% tolerance TUV, UL, CE, CB, FCC, Semko, Nemko, Demko, Fimkol

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT 110mm 2 Ball Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler

Any advice on these parts would be much appriciated as well.
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Need Advice On Motherboard!!!

Post by Alathald »

Intel is a much better choice over AMD at the moment, especially the E8400 so you may want to consider changing your mind. As for PSU, I'm sure many here would recommend the Corsair 620W (as would I). Just something to think about, I'm sure others can help more than I can.
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Looks pretty good, if that's a motherboard with on board graphics I wouldn't use on board graphics I'd use a video card as on board graphics don't perform very well under video intensive applications.

The 590 chip set on that Asus board is a couple of generations old, and it's not an AM2+ board. For the X2 6400 (which I run) the AMD 770 and 790 chip sets are current generation and support Phenom forward compatibility.

I use the M3A an Asus value based board on the 6400 and it runs it really well, it's a 770 chip set and AM2+ (Phenom compatible) It doesn't have built in video so You'd need a seperate video card. Any of the Nvidia 8800GT video cards would do very well and give you a measure of future proofing. If you don't do any gaming and aren't using or planning on getting a higher resolution monitor a Nvidea 8600 would probably do well and cost less.

For an Asus board, Phenom and X2 6400 compatible, any of the Asus M3A series boards will give you both, all are AM2+
M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP 790 chip set $200+
M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi-AP 790 chip set $200+
M3A 770 Chip set $99 (newegg.com)
danbeaulieu
Legit User
Legit User

Post by danbeaulieu »

thanks for the info I will do some research
danbeaulieu
Legit User
Legit User

Post by danbeaulieu »

Thanks for the advice... I think I will go with the ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi Motherboard...

I think I already know the answer but Is there anything that I will be missing out on by choosing this board over the ASUS M2N32-WS Pro ATX Server Motherboard?

Thanks!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

The price is right for AMD. I would still go intel or buy a Mac.
danbeaulieu
Legit User
Legit User

Post by danbeaulieu »

I don't know... maybe I should just go straight for the Phenom 2.3Ghz, is it faster than the Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz?

Or should I wait for the Pheoms to reach 3.2Ghz?
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

That's the 64,000 dollar question. For music (sound) and video encoding quad core runs better. Phenom is still pretty new though, the point of sale phenoms are a little buggy for me, I'm phenom ready and was phenom ready when I got the 6400. I'm not doing video or sound encoding so the 6400 was a better choice for me because of the higher clock speed and reliability. For sound encoding the current phenoms don't really do much better than the 6400 according to a couple of reviews I read a while back. I'd be hesitant to buy one right now, but if you need quad for sound encoding and you get a lemon you can always RMA it (especially if you go with a reputable vendor). The new B3 revision phenoms won't be out til the end of the year, if I had to make the decision I'd go 6400 now and see what the new phenoms do later.

The M3A series of mother boards are newer faster chip sets, they use HyperTransport 3.0, Pcie 2.0, offer the Phenom forward compatibility with out crippling the advantages of quad core like the other board would. They say the phenom will run on am2 boards (some), but it's designed for the AM2+ boards. Using it on a non-am2+ board will disable some of the features of the phenom. Specifically the phenom will have to use hypertansport 2.0 and not 3.0. Hypertransport 3.0 runs at double the speed of 2.0 (working from memory here so you might check).

It just makes more sense to run it on a board specifically designed for it. If you lose any thing it'll be on board video, so part of your shopping list will have to be a decent PCIE video card. Other than that I don't think your losing any thing.

I'd look at the price of your current setup, and look at the price of a similar Intel setup. If it's not a significant (200 or more) difference I'd probably go Intel because currently they do offer a faster product, and quads that are tested and proven. If it's out of budget for Intel then AMD will do the job fine.
danbeaulieu
Legit User
Legit User

Post by danbeaulieu »

Thanks for the great response, I think I will take your advice and go with the 6400 for now... I will read up on an Intel set-up however, I do like the AMD quadcore design, in theory that is, if they can work the bugs out.

Thanks Again,
Dan
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

More than welcome, I like the true Quad design myself, if they get the bugs worked out I'll be on it in a minute. New technology takes time to work out so I generally lay off it for a while. Let other people test it, and the manufacturer work out the bugs then move to it. Saves time, money and more importantly headaches.
danbeaulieu
Legit User
Legit User

Post by danbeaulieu »

good call