MSI K8N NEO4-F

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

MSI K8N NEO4-F

Post by dgood »

So I just pulled this motherboard from my parents computer today. the north bridge fried I think. We stopped getting picture on start up and had hardware failures in the PCI department about a week straight up to that point. I guess the Fan on the north bridge gave out and stopped spinning. My question is, do you think If I replace the bridge cooling with a passive/active combo instead of just a new fan will this board work again? I've replaced north bridge fans on other motherboards in the past and seen them work. However, I've never had the picture stop showing, just complete instability. I fear this one has gone too far down the road of death to return. What's your thought? I'm thinking if I do replace it though of putting on an actual heatsink that has space for a small fan to screw into it instead of the shitty fan with no heatsink. (sounds redundant I know, but I wanted to try to say it slightly different to get the picture for some.)
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: MSI K8N NEO4-F

Post by Methious »

Worth a try, might be an over heat thing. Like you said though it might be to far gone, but sinking one is pretty cheap so it's worth a shot. Then if it is dead get a good enough sink (universal) that it'll be worth using yourself :shock:
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

yeah, I guess if I do get the board working it'd be a good back up for 4 of my computers as I have 4 with 939 processors in them at my house, my brothers, my parents, and 2 of mine.
CyberWarrior
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by CyberWarrior »

So what happened with the board?
MSI K8N-Neo 4F Platinum v 1.0
A64 FX-60 Dual Core @ 2.8 ghz
G-Skill 1gb x 2 PC-3200 @ 433 fsb 1t.
ASUS 6800GT Pcie @ 425/1200
DVD-RW LH-20A1L6C
CyberWarrior