USB headers

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
Merlin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

USB headers

Post by Merlin »

I have the new 780G Micro ATX MOBO ( RMAed the other one) it has 4 USB headers that are 10 pin headers. My case has two side mounted USB ports that look to be 4 or 5 pin. The headers are intended for a USB bracket you can buy from GIGABYTE . Is there an adaptor I can get to allow me to hook up the case ports to this MOBO or can they be hooked up as is in some way? The manual says that each header will support two ports for a total of 8 additional USB ports
Merlin
Windows 10 64 bit home on both
ASUS Z97-A LGA1150|i7 4790K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR3 2400| EVGA GTX660 | Corsair HX520W PSU
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO 1151|i7 8700K|32Gb G-skill Ripjaws DDR4-2666| EVGA GTX1080 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Corsair AX760 PSU
KnightRid

Re: USB headers

Post by KnightRid »

you are full of questions today :)

you do not need an adapter. There should be one row of 5 pins and one row of 4 pins in those connector slots - that single fifth one is for the extra ground wire that should be on your case connectors. if all of your wires are seperate, just look at the notherboard guide on which pin should go where. I nmever put more than one connector like this in each slot since I like to use the extra ground :)

VOC -> USB1- -> USB1+ -> GND -> GND

that is how mine line up

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

yeah you can just put two on one. i dont really care about the extra ground though
Methious
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Methious »

Starting on pin number one, it's usually

Red, White, Blue, Black
or
Red, Yellow, Green, Black
or
Red, White, Green, Black

If you have a fifth black it's the extra ground and goes on the remaining pin. If you have some different color wires post up, I've pinned about all the combinations so many times that now I stab all 4 or 5 at once.