asus m3a motherboard problems with heat

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
darkman
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

asus m3a motherboard problems with heat

Post by darkman »

Hi all im darkman and im new to using forums... i just put a new computer together last week and im asking if you think the temps are ok; im using or looking at prob2 cpu is 36c mb 30c.

The north bridge is at 41 c so i turn my cases side fan around pulling air in the case i have 4 fans in the case; 1 front and rear 120mm; and 2 side fans that are 80mm/ i have a hand held raytek temp gun and it read a different temps, so do you think i should trust my temp gun first and do think these temps are ok at idle? help

My bios temp reads 50c for the cpu and that i think is high my temp gun reads 31 with the case open on the side. what bios to use mine is v406 do i need to update bios or not. Any help would be appreciated.

Sometime it or the temps on the probe2 go up to 49c and the fan kicks in.

my system:
computer case raid max smilodon gamers case//pwr unit 535 p/s atx enermax pegooo///cpu amd a64x2 4800 with stock fan//+2.5g///mem 1gx2 corsair twin 2x2048-5400c4//vga evga 7600gt 256-p2n615-tr// sata seagate 160g hard drive and sata lightscrube dvd/cd burner//operating sytem windows xp home edition 32bit

Does anyone have the same problems, can you help me?

Thanks
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: asus m3a motherboard problems with heat

Post by DMB2000uk »

The CPU and Mobo temps seem fine, even the northbridge is at an acceptable level

Where did you measure temperatures from with the Raytek gun? If it was on heatsinks (which it would have to be to stop the PC from frying), the heatsinks will be cooler than the actual northbridge etc as they are designed to spread out the heat from the chip and cool it down. The hottest part will be in the core of the northbridge/cpu etc, and you can't get to that to measure it with temperature guns. So while the temperature gun is more accurate at reading temperatures, you can't use it in this case as the thing you need to point it at is covered up by a heatsink.

The BIOS reads a higher temperature than the Probe2 as when the PC is in the BIOS the CPU is actually doing some kind of hard work, which means that it runs hotter than if it was sat at the desktop in windows doing nothing. So you do not need to update the BIOS because it shows a higher temperature than what is in windows.

When the CPU is doing hard work, It is also OK for the fans to kick in to bring the temperature of the CPU down to a cooler level. If the fans switch off completely there may be a way to stop them doing that, which will keep the CPU/case cooler. Someone else who has this board should be able to help you out with that one.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
Turk_97
Legit User
Legit User

Re: asus m3a motherboard problems with heat

Post by Turk_97 »

Are you using the m3232-mvp board? I will install s/w and tell u what mine is running so you have a comparison.

I installed PcProbe II I am running @:

CPU: 42
Mobo: 33

This is with my particular setup with 3 500Gb Hd's in case as well as whats listed below, so I would say your in really good range. Also I stopped the fans from slowing and stopping by turning Cool 'n Quiet off in the Bios. The temperature of the chipset will always be warmer near the core compared to shooting a gun at the temp its picking up off the heat sinks. Hope this helps you out.

Cheers,
Ian
-= Whew That Was Close =-

- Asus M3A32-MVP - AMD X4 64 9850 Black Edition @ 2.50 Ghz - 2 @ 2 GB OCZ Ram - 2 @ Ati HD 3870 512 Mb Running Cross-Fire - 750 Watt Coolmaster Power Supply
Dell 2007 WFP