New motherboard and Processor and Ram for parents

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

New motherboard and Processor and Ram for parents

Post by dgood »

They have an AMD Computer currently 939 dual core 2.0ghz and 1gb of ram the motherboard has been fried two times by the psu before I realized it was a psu problem.
I decided I should order them slightly newer parts now so they will hold up longer, and decided to stick amd dual core so no system issues will arise driver wise with the same hard drive being plugged right in, just need to install new gfx/sound.

I'm thinking ecs 780G with HDMI so my dad can later use it on his TV if necessary (doubt it but who knows no more expensive to have the hdmi option)
Found a deal for 2gb of ram 2x1gb ddr2 for 49 dollars
got a low power Dual Core Amd as they mostly just do E-mail and a very little bit of photo editing, and Corsair PSU All came out to 300 dollars even.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New motherboard and Processor and Ram for parents

Post by DMB2000uk »

While it is a nice idea, but it's a bit flawed as the driver problem will still be there, as the CPU doesn't really need a driver, but the motherboard needs a few.

You will probably be able to get away with uninstalling the drivers from the first motherboard, then plugging in the second motherboard and installing the new drivers for that though. Windows will probably want to be reactivated because of all the changes to the computer.

Ideally a clean format would be the best option, but if that isn't do-able then you will have to just put up with this method. It's not the best way to do it, but it will run.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
dgood
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by dgood »

forgot that it's a different chipset, but it only changed 3 drivers really so that wasn't too bad. I need to uninstall all the old drivers and such though. The reason being they don't want to lose any pictures or anything else off the computer. All his slides and such were scanned into digital and my parents money account is on it too.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Make sure you have those backed up to CD or something just in case.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)