New motherboard but No Sound

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
whatinspiresu
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

New motherboard but No Sound

Post by whatinspiresu »

i just bought a new motherboard and had a tech guy come rebuild the machine, so i dont really understand this stuff completely.

everything works except for the sound. speakers are functional, have power. its all plugged in correctly. levels on media player are moving. no errors. no alerts in device manager. still no sound.

its a pcchips M848A . Integrated audio controller with AC'97 interface. what else would you need to know to help me get this thing working.

thanks a bunch!
Trisha
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New motherboard but No Sound

Post by DMB2000uk »

Are the speakers confirmed working, or can you use a different set/headphones to test the port on the PC.

Are the speakers plugged into the correct port on the back of the PC?

Is the system wide volume turned up? On the mixer thing on the volume properties, enable viewing of all the other volume sliders and make sure that they aren't down or muted. The common one is usually the 'wave' mixer thing is turned down/muted.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

this has happened to me a couple times. Each time with me it was because the master audio volume output setting was muted.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
whatinspiresu
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by whatinspiresu »

speakers are working, tested on my laptop, also tried headphones out the back jack.
volume is not on mute. been in every property/control panel there is, 3 times.

this problem is upon fresh install of windows. the sound never worked. even checked bios to see if audio was turned. it is.

since the sound card is integrated, could it possibly be a connection inside... to the motherboard?
I dont think the motherboard is faulty because I hear a little static when I plug into stereo output port (the green one).

if its software related, the driver that came with the board in the CD install, is Realtek AC'97. would I need anything else?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

if you have the front I/O cable hooked up to the HD plug not the AC97 plug it will cause the audio not to work. Unplug the cable and I bet it starts working.

If it does, look at the plug on the cable, it should be labeled AC97 or HD
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

thats a bare bones board, not sure it has the HD plug, but did you try re installing the drivers? if the sound controls are greyed out that might work.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I was referring to the cable in the case, not the board. The cables have two plugs on them, I think he has the HD plug hooked up to the AC97 header. The plugs are not wired the same, its most likely causing a signal issue.
Attachments
cables.jpg
cables.jpg (45.79 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
whatinspiresu
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by whatinspiresu »

DarkStar. i did un- and re-install the drivers from the disk they gave me. I just checked right now and all the sound controls seem to be working.

Bubba, I think its time to start tinkering inside again. will be back to let you know.

Thanks guys!!! i was starting to lose hope :)
Trisha
skier

Post by skier »

do you have automatic update on, and did this start after an update? because there is an AC'97 update which basically disables audio output or something stupid like that(i had that EXACT same board a few months ago, well, actually, it still works and i could use it, but why would I(from looking at my sig))

i believe i just uninstalled the audio drivers and reinstalled from the PC CHIPS driver disk.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
whatinspiresu
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by whatinspiresu »

skierkid. i did uninstall and reinstall, from the disk included, and from the download on the pcchips site. gotta agree with you on using this board. i only had $80 to get this thing up and running again... when i upgrade, im lookin at a mobo/cpu bundle with a phenom processor.

bubba, i wussed out... i opened it back up and wasnt brave enough to mess with what was already plugged in. my stuff isnt labeled as nicely as in your pic. BUT... when we put this thing together we left the front ports unplugged cuz the cable didnt reach where we were supposed to plug it in, i said screw it. leave it...

this time i made it reach (gently) got it plugged in and voila. SOUND! :supz: sometimes half assed is good enough.

thank you all so much for helping!!! I really appreciate it.

Trisha