MSI AmethystM (MS-7184) Help

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
frustrated_uk
Legit User
Legit User

MSI AmethystM (MS-7184) Help

Post by frustrated_uk »

My Compaq computer has this board (although MSI apparently disown it!) which has a Radeon XPress 200 chipset and was delivered with an ATI X1300 Pro graphics card. I want to upgrade this, however, and bought a Sapphire HD-4770 and installed it into the PCI-E x16 slot (the card is 2.0). However, whilst the card appears to work (i.e. I can see something on screen) screen updates have slowed to half and my Audigy 4 sound is corrupted. Add to this the fact that Core2 of my Athlon 64 X2 4200+ processor is running at 100% when idle and there is, obviously, something wrong!

I've upgraded the PSU to 550W, as per the graphic card's request and followed a number of suggestions on the ATI graphics board, here, but to no avail.

Does anyone have experience of trying to upgrade graphics with this motherboard and been met with success?

Frustrated. :axe:
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: MSI AmethystM (MS-7184) Help

Post by InspectahACE »

You didn't send the video card back like you thought of back in the other thread? :P either that or try another motherboard. you also still haven't mentioned whether you saw any device conflicts in the device manager
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

What process is utilizing the 2nd core. That may help us determine the issue
frustrated_uk
Legit User
Legit User

Post by frustrated_uk »

I'd like to get it to work, if possible, so, no, I still have it!

No device conflicts and, according to the resource monitor, nothing in particular is occupying the processor!

Frustrated. :axe:
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

check the processes tab in task manager. sort by cpu usage. something is using it if we know what it is it will help