BIOS update ?

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
mcleod55
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

BIOS update ?

Post by mcleod55 »

I have a Gigabyte M61P-S3 board. I bought a Athlon 64 x2 6000, 3.1 GHz to replace my Athlon 3800. I did a BIOS update, swapped processors out, rebooted and I get no POST at all. Just fans. No beep code. nothing.
I put the Athlon 3800 back in and it works fine. My question... Is there something else that I have to do in BIOS so the new processor will boot or does it sound like a dead processor?

Another thing. I did try to use the processor before I did the BIOS update and it would boot but system would shutdown after a few minutes. Like I said, that was before. Now nothing but fans. Any thoughts on this?
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: BIOS update ?

Post by XstollieX »

I am leaning toward a bad processor. Try reducing to the minimum on the computer, 1 stick of ram, processor, and gfx card and see if you get it to post. That would be my next step.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Could be a bad processor or a BIOS update that doesn't play nice with that specific processor.

I know people used the F5 bios with a 6000+ a couple years back with some success. I guess you are running BIOS F7F? What BIOS did you update from where the 6000+ would shut down after a little bit? I vaguely remember that board... hard to believe that is circa 2007
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
mcleod55
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mcleod55 »

Was using BIOS F2. That was what the board came with.
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

Try clearing the CMOS. I have to clear the CMOS on my M2N-E everytime I update the BIOS.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
mcleod55
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by mcleod55 »

geokilla wrote:Try clearing the CMOS. I have to clear the CMOS on my M2N-E everytime I update the BIOS.
Would that cause it to do nothing but fans? Also clear the CMOS could fix the problem I've posted? Sorry for the questions but I feel dumber than a nail right now.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

mcleod55 wrote:
geokilla wrote:Try clearing the CMOS. I have to clear the CMOS on my M2N-E everytime I update the BIOS.
Would that cause it to do nothing but fans? Also clear the CMOS could fix the problem I've posted? Sorry for the questions but I feel dumber than a nail right now.
Clear the CMOS and if that doesn't work I'd flash the board with BIOS F5 and try that... It's a good practice to always clear the CMOS after a BIOS flash and then load optimal defaults.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!