New setup advice please?

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
chowboy
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

New setup advice please?

Post by chowboy »

I intend on purchasing an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T when they are available. I need advice on choosing a compatible motherboard and other devices to pair with this chip. I am moving from an Intel Duo Core 2. My first home-built system was an Athlon 1800+ some years ago. I thought I would have more processor power if I moved to an Intel chip. It is old technology now, and I am wanting to upgrade. Intel has lost it's mind with it's Core I7 pricing scheme, so I am interested in the new X6 chips from AMD. My computing focus is not on gaming, but on heavy application use. Please suggest to me motherboards (with or without graphics), graphics card and memory to use for this purpose. I intend to use one SSD HD for my op sys and programs, and one WD 2T HD for data. Also, please suggest memory sticks for performance. Thanks for any advice or recommendations. Chowboy
JMMD
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: New setup advice please?

Post by JMMD »

Lt Ohio
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Re: New setup advice please?

Post by Lt Ohio »

Keep in mind that the 890FX chipset is around the bend so if you want a more future resistant motherboard go with either the 890GX or FX chipsets (when it comes out). one thing you should beware of is support for the new Phenom II x6 cpus, my motherboard didn't have a bios upgrade for them while other motherboards did, so which ever motherboard you decide on you should go to the manufactures main site and check for Cpu compatibility this is also a good place to go to find compatible memory sticks too. Graphics is entirely up to you, just make sure you have a big enough powersupply with high amperage on the +12v rail.
My rig.
Asus M4A79XTD-Evo motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 4850
AMD Phenom II x2 550 BE cpu / Hyper N 520 cpu cooler
Crucial Ballistx ddr3 1333
Corsair TX 750
160 gb hdd
asus dvd burner