help requested with asus a8n-la motherboard

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
billhiggs
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

help requested with asus a8n-la motherboard

Post by billhiggs »

the motherboard on my compaq presario sr1950nx has died, HP not longer stocks or sells this motherboard, had it in to a shop and they say the power suplly is good but the board is dead, just baffles me that hp has discontinued the board on a 3 1/2 year old computer

its an asus a8n-la, nagami2-gl8e made by asus specifically for hp

looking for some pointer to verify that the board is gone

and also info to help me get the right board from ebay (there are lots listed) HP is no help at all, all they suggest is buy a new HP

when I turn the computer on the cooling fans come on at full speed but thats it, no video no beeps, no attempt to boot either from dvd or hd

I have been told by hp that since the tattoo on the replacement motherboard wont match that my restore disc nor software on the hard drive will not work, but ti has also been suggested to me that if the board is a close enough match the software may not notice, has anyone just switched same model motherboard without issue?

so how do I interpret the numbers on my board to get a right match

the board model is a8n-la nagami2-gl8e, there are lots of this board on ebay but some seen to have numbers that differ from my board

my numbers are
M981Q7
2.00 801
hp pn 5188 5067
(there are various boards on ebay with sliht variations of the above number)
C65S184-00510

which of these number do I have to match? and whats the odd that a close match will just install without creating issues with the tattoo on the motherboard bios?

Thanks for any and all help and suggestions

Bill
Sttm
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: help requested with asus a8n-la motherboard

Post by Sttm »

I dont know if anyone besides an HP tech could readily know which motherboard production numbers will work with the software you have.

I actually agree with the HP reps that a new PC is probably your best option. Even the $400 Best Buy special would be a good upgrade, and you would not have to risk getting a secondhand motherboard off Ebay, going thru all the trouble of installing it, then having HPs terrible XP disc not work for you, and having to buy a new copy of Windows, or run Linux.
Last edited by Sttm on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 2600k/ ASUS P8Z68-V Z68/ 8gb Corsair Vengeance 1600 Blue/ EVGA Geforce GTX 560ti Maximum Graphics Edition/Windows 7/Antec 300/Antec 650w/LG Blu Combo/Hp 27inch 2710M/Samsung P2770HD

"I think sharing is overrated...and helping others. And what's all this crap I've been hearing about tolerance?"
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: help requested with asus a8n-la motherboard

Post by InspectahACE »

To be honest, most products are discontinued even after 2 years so it's not a surprise that the board isn't really supported anymore. Now as far as fixing this, you have few options. very few. In fact, you're going to have to spend money on this regardless of the outcome. Yes buying a whole new pc would eliminate every problem(other than having to back up the important stuff form the current pc). and Id say that's the best route. There is a cheaper way to do it, and basing it on the shops finding, buying a new motherboard that will fit inside the HP case and a new copy of Windows should solve the issue too.(<-- but that could also wipe out any important files you want) I hope there may be a better solution but that's all I can think of right now.
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro