DFI NF590 Mobo and Phenom CPU

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
Torno1
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

DFI NF590 Mobo and Phenom CPU

Post by Torno1 »

I have a DFI NF590 board with an athlon 64 X 2 4600+ cpu. The phenom chip I want to install for an upgrade is the AMD Phenom II X4 920 2.8GHz. My mobo's socket type is an AM2 and the Phenom cpu has an AM2+ type of socket which is compatible with the AM2 on the mobo. I realize that not all the features of the Phenom will be used by my mobo since the socket is the +. Also I just upgraded my BIOS chip which is supposed to support the Phenom series of cpu's. Will this Phenum cpu work with my mobo? Will I have to put on the operating system on my computer again to have everything work properly? Thanks :)
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DFI NF590 Mobo and Phenom CPU

Post by Apoptosis »

Updating the BIOS won't impact your OS install, so no worries there.

I've heard that some people have issues going from single/dual core CPU's to quad/hex CPU's on older operating systems. What OS are you running?

You can try a to just swap the CPU's, but when going from dual-core to a quad-core I'd re-install the OS. Mainly because it sounds like it hasn't been done in several years and a clean OS always feels faster than an old one. Maybe time to update to Win 7?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Torno1
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: DFI NF590 Mobo and Phenom CPU

Post by Torno1 »

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The operating system I am running is Windows XP SP2 and you are right my rig is over 4 years old. When I upgraded the BIOS everything ran well and maybe a little bit faster. It would be nice to upgrade to the 4quad phenom but not if I have to reinstall the operating system. Even though my rig is 4 years old it is still relatively fast with 4 gigs of OCZ ram and two SLI video cards. Just thought for the reasonable price of a Phenom chip it could even run faster.