Strange motherboard issue

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
lobf
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Strange motherboard issue

Post by lobf »

So I'm fixing a friend's mediacenter PC who's motherboard crapped out. I buy him a new mobo of the same type, and I install it without any real issues. Except the front panel connectors are in one of those thick black things that keeps them all together so they can all be plugged into the mobo at once. Well that black thing was built for the other mobo, and the pins don't line up right, so I pull the pins out of the "pin holder" thing and go to plug them in individually.

Here's the weird part. I plugged them into the on/off pins on the motherboard, but nothing happens. I tried switching which pins they were connected to, nothing happens.

However, I accidentally brushed the pins on the mobo with the wires for the power button and the fans turned on (making a lot of noise, actually now that I think about it.) I didn't plug the monitor in to see if everything was actualy running, but I think it was.

Can anyone figure out what kind of issue that is? Or where I should go to find out?

It's a Biostar A780L, if that makes a difference. Thanks for your help folks!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Strange motherboard issue

Post by Major_A »

I'm assuming the original board came from an OEM manufacturer (i.e. Dell, HP, Gateway, etc...). They are the only people to use the "all-in-one" front panel plug. Worst case scenario you can "rig" up a power and reset switch. Go to a local mom and pop shop and ask for a power switch. I picked up 3 or 4 form a local shop for $1.

When you heard the machine come on you probably shorted the power pins. Since that's what essentially the power switch does, but in a more elegant way.
skier

Re: Strange motherboard issue

Post by skier »

Major_A wrote:I'm assuming the original board came from an OEM manufacturer (i.e. Dell, HP, Gateway, etc...). They are the only people to use the "all-in-one" front panel plug. Worst case scenario you can "rig" up a power and reset switch. Go to a local mom and pop shop and ask for a power switch. I picked up 3 or 4 form a local shop for $1.

When you heard the machine come on you probably shorted the power pins. Since that's what essentially the power switch does, but in a more elegant way.
certainly what was done.

this is my power button for my on-desk setup
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG (86.07 KiB) Viewed 10377 times
was originally a dead reset button, but i chopped off the button part and stripped the wires because it is a lot easier than always starting it with a screwdriver

the only thing that buttons do is create a short between a specific pair or group of wires/contacts, so figure out what pins are for the PW and RES (Power/Reset) and replace the buttons, or you can just splice little headers to the end of the button wires like from LEDS or even from an in-chassis speaker

also, i accidentally shut off my computer while trying to take a picture haha
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups