Overclocking a DFI m/b

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Overclocking a DFI m/b

Post by shamrok3 »

Hey guys!
Bit of an old issue that I've put up with. Built this PC about a year ago now, and had high hopes of overclocking the CPU, however since approximately my first re-format (about a month or two into ownership) any overclocking has utterly failed.
The BIOS overclocking will change fine when I'm fiddling with it, but when it comes to restarting, it won't POST and I have to reset the BIOS to factory to boot again. AMD tool simply doesn't work.
For a while I suspected I simply needed to update the BIOS... Yeah... simply... Basically the update was a write off with much the same outcome as the trying to overclock, when I could get it to update at all.
Technical Data:
m/b: DFI DK790FX LanParty
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE (3.0GHz)
PSU: Coolermaster 650W
Heatsink: Noctua U12P (SE2)
Thoughts would be appreciated. [-o<
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Overclocking a DFI m/b

Post by Apoptosis »

shamrok3 wrote:Hey guys!
Bit of an old issue that I've put up with. Built this PC about a year ago now, and had high hopes of overclocking the CPU, however since approximately my first re-format (about a month or two into ownership) any overclocking has utterly failed.
The BIOS overclocking will change fine when I'm fiddling with it, but when it comes to restarting, it won't POST and I have to reset the BIOS to factory to boot again. AMD tool simply doesn't work.
For a while I suspected I simply needed to update the BIOS... Yeah... simply... Basically the update was a write off with much the same outcome as the trying to overclock, when I could get it to update at all.
Technical Data:
m/b: DFI DK790FX LanParty
CPU: AMD Phenom II 940BE (3.0GHz)
PSU: Coolermaster 650W
Heatsink: Noctua U12P (SE2)
Thoughts would be appreciated. [-o<
What happens if you try overclocking in the BIOS and not with a software utility?
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!