Hot ASUS A8R32

Discussion about AMD CPU Motherboards
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Hot ASUS A8R32

Post by VideoChick »

Does anyone here have any ideas on why my motherboard is overheating? This alarm is about to drive me crazy.

System:
Thermaltake Shark
ASUS A8R32 MVP Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200
2x 74GB Western Digital Raptor SATA
Sony DRU-810a DVD-RW
Sapphire ATI X1800XT
Audigy 2 ZS Gamer PCI
Windows XP Pro SP 2
FSP Group FX600W
Last edited by VideoChick on Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenphic
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Zenphic »

Is there sufficient airflow in your case right now, like are you using some decent case fans and such? Also, is there enough space around the vents of your case to allow air to flow in and out of the case without being obstructed or blocked? :)
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

I had to add three fans to side panel of my case (Thermaltake Shark) without these three additonal fans there are only two fans in the case. The fans on the door work and then they don't work, some kind of short somewhere, then it heats up again and the alarm starts going off.

I don't like the fans added to the side panel it makes hard to open and close the case but they do keep the board from heating up.

There is a chipset cooler on the northbridge so what is getting hot enough to sound the alarm?

Thanks
Zenphic
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by Zenphic »

Hmmm... I'm no expert in these sort of matters, but I'll try my best to aid you. Is your system overclocked?
I'll get back to you tommorow, it's bed time over here :)
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by The Black Pumpkin »

I would replace those fans that keep shorting out ( :shock: ) as soon as possible. That'll help, probably. Also, see if you can find out how much air your fans push, if they don't push alot, get ones that push more. This would make it somewhat louder, as the fans will be spinning faster, but it should be better than the alarm. :P

Is there a specific part it is warning you about, too? Or is it just the system/case temp? If you want to get your hands dirty, you can check all of the heatsinks and see if they touch their respective thingamabob (I'm tired), and replace the standard thermal material with Arctic Silver 5 (or whatever, I just recommend the best :) ).

Hope my mumbling/rambling helps. :lol:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Check your bios, under system health, make sure you don't the alarm set to go off at a very low temp.
Have you tried re-seating your CPU cooler....if it doesn't have good contact the CPU will heat up over time.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

what is the warning level for the fan RPM's in the BIOS? I've seen some fans run slower than the default setting causing the alarm to go off...
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

This motherboard is bad. This morning the hard drives started disappearing again. According to ASUS the board is bad. I have never had this many problems building a computer. This is my 3rd motherboard in six weeks. I have a RMA number but I don’t think I want another one of these boards or maybe I’m just mad. Thanks for helping me out.
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Try the DFI Ultra D!
Joe
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

That was the first board I tried. I couldn't get it work, I had the common memory problems. It would work with the memory in the oranges slots or in both the yellow slot. I could only get it work with one stick of memory in the first orange slot.

Second board: ABIT AT8 32X this board arrived missing the SATA cable, manual and the IDE cables. I returned this board but I couldn't get a new one because they were out stock so I bought the A8r32.

I'm really at a lost as to what do now.

Thanks
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I know how you feel.........I've moved from a (working) SLI-DR to this "Expert" board.......this current board won't boot with more than 1 stick of ram now.....in any config and I've tried 3 different sticks of ram :(

I'd say, send that board back, but stick with Asus. I'd personally go with the A8r32 again.....or the A8N32-SLI.

I'm even thinking of buying both :mrgreen:
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

kenc51 wrote:I know how you feel.........I've moved from a (working) SLI-DR to this "Expert" board.......this current board won't boot with more than 1 stick of ram now.....in any config and I've tried 3 different sticks of ram :(

I'd say, send that board back, but stick with Asus. I'd personally go with the A8r32 again.....or the A8N32-SLI.

I'm even thinking of buying both :mrgreen:
I’m really sorry that you know how I feel. This is really stressing me out. It is now looking like I am going to have build a second system now. I was planning to build another system as a backup but I was going to do that in a couple of months. I can’t be without computer because of work. ASUS is saying that it may take up to 15 days to replace the motherboard. So it’s back to the drawing board. This really sucks.

I need suggestion for the second motherboard. I think I am going to put this video card in second computer and go with the x1900 for this one.

Thanks
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

I'm still research the parts for my backup system so far I have:

ASUS A8R-MVP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800
SAPPHIRE X1800XT 256MB

The system will be used mostly for work (processing documents nothing heavy) but I would like to be able to play games on it if my gaming system is not working. If I can get away with not spending $300 on a processor that would be great.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

For what your main focus is with it, I wouldn't get a dual-core processor in it. But that's just me. 8)
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

If I went with this processor (AMD Athlon 64 3200) will I be able to using the system for gamming if nessecary?

Thanks
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

As long as you don't expect to run everything at top settings, then yeah, that should do fine. With that and the graphics card, you could probably expect really high settings, anyway. More if you overclock. :mrgreen:

If you could go up to $200 for a proc though without feeling it too much money wise, I'd go for the 3700 for the doubled L2 cache.

But of course, you're talking to the guy with the Socket A Sempron 2800+. :P
VideoChick
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by VideoChick »

The Black Pumpkin wrote:As long as you don't expect to run everything at top settings, then yeah, that should do fine. With that and the graphics card, you could probably expect really high settings, anyway. More if you overclock. :mrgreen:

If you could go up to $200 for a proc though without feeling it too much money wise, I'd go for the 3700 for the doubled L2 cache.

But of course, you're talking to the guy with the Socket A Sempron 2800+. :P
LOL

Thanks for making me laugh I really needed that.
The Black Pumpkin
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

No problem, some people say I'm good at making them laugh. :lol:

But then most just look at me wierdly... :|